Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

My MacSax tenor was playing fine, wonderfully, suddenly the lows 'flutter' and the the entire horn sounds muted. It sounds like the low D, C, and B's mostly are the flutterers.

No socks or pull-through pads in there, but that's what it sounds like almost.

It'll be a while before I can get this thing in to my tech. Any ideas I could look into on my own while I wait for the tech?

I need to get a leak light.

Jonnieboy

·
Registered
545 Posts
A key might not be closing right down there maybe? I had a similar problem but it was in my octave range where the alternate octave vent wasn't closing right so A2 and above weren't coming out the way they were supposed to. Something might not be closing or opening all the way?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I told them that picture was not for publication. Now I'm going to have to litigate. I just hate that.

Hey, talk about a free blowing horn, though.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,112 Posts
Bubbling on the low notes is often down to a problem with the bore.

On the old Communist-era B&S, Amati and older Jupiter altos that have been completely repadded and there are no apparent leaks, the low C, B and Bb will still bubble due to the fact the bore taper isn't right and that's a design fault. I used to have loads of players complain about this (until I stopped working in a music shop), usually coming in and saying 'my teacher says the low notes don't play properly because the low Bb pad isn't closing', but it's the usual case of the player and teacher knowing nothing - it's a problem with the design of the instrument rather than a mechanical problem.

Jupiter 'cured' this by glueing a brass baffle on the inside of the bow (on the top side of the U bend) to help stabilise the low notes and a similar thing can be done by dropping a wine cork that's been halved along its length or quartered down the bell. So try that to see if it helps.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, in this case it turned out to be a dinky little cork fell off one of the G# arm thingies.

Funny what wonderful uses door seal has when cut into a small enough piece. It even has the glue on one side already.

Haven't given it much of a test ride yet, but I think this case is solved.

Thanks for keeping me light-hearted!

Jonnieboy

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,112 Posts
At least that's a simple problem to cure!

Make sure there's a slight gap in between the G# key tabs and the low B and C# touches to be sure the G# pad remains closed. The low B and C# keys should move before the G# key moves with them - you'll feel the delay when slowly pressing them. If there's no double action to be felt, then the G# key needs adjusting or the small tabs on the underside can be bent down slightly.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,941 Posts
Bubbling on the low notes is often down to a problem with the bore.

On the old Communist-era B&S, Amati and older Jupiter altos that have been completely repadded and there are no apparent leaks, the low C, B and Bb will still bubble due to the fact the bore taper isn't right and that's a design fault.
I had a MKVI like that.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts