Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a recommendation for a flute solo with piano accompaniment for my daughter who is in 8th grade. Her third year playing, and second year playing in the solo and ensemble contest.

I've got tones of saxophone music, but not much flute music other than a couple of collections. So far she hasn't liked anything that I've shown her from my library. Recommendations?

(She doesn't want anything in cut time, 6/8, 12/8, or 7/8..lol).

Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
What collections do you have?
Also what grade level is she required to play? Medium (2) medium advanced (3)?
The Magic Flute is always a good one for middle school age flautists. 馃槈

Registered
Consider going down to the local music store and checking out the Moana Sound Track book for Flute. It is a Hal Leonard publication. I鈥檝e seen it in stock at several music stores. Some of it might be too hard, but there might be a piece or two in there that is just right. My son did Hedwig鈥檚 theme from a similar John Williams book for his first Solo and Ensemble. Great experience.

The adjudicators don鈥檛 always like recently written classical music, but as a dad, I really didn鈥檛 care. My son needed to be playing something he enjoyed if he was going to prepare it well.

Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
One of the favorites of my 7th and 8th grade flute students was 'Serenade' (Jos. Haydn) in the Concert and Contest Collection. It's a Rubank publication and should be available at most music shops.
Serenade is also in Mel Bay's Classical Repertoire for Flute, Volume 2.
4/4, lyricle, Andante cantabile, grace notes... nice piece.

Forum Contributor 2010 & Distinguished SOTW Member
Polnauer: Baroque Music for Flute has many appropriate pieces as does the Zachert: Classical Album for Flute (which includes the Aria from the Magic Flute that bandmommy mentions above).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts