Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you started flute first and then went to saxophone? The amount of players who pick up flute for the sake of doubling bothers me..

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Why? Because some guys want to make a living doing music, and like it is nearly impossible JUST to play saxophone nowadays? Would you rather they squeak out on clarinet?

My only beef would be that most guys don't bother to actually try to learn flute, they just sorta play it. And it sounds that way.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Ditto daigle65

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't mind people doubling, even for doubling's sake. It's just the vast number of them...

I'm very into the saxophone, but I didn't pick it up just to land a pit orchestra gig. :mrgreen:

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
I didn't go to sax. I added sax. With clarinet in between.

I'm not worried about those who add flute to sax. In general they really struggle to have even a good tone and control of flute, especially third octave.
[Ducks for cover!]

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I began on flute 2 years before tenor. I can play the third register correctly Gordon and up to F in the fourth.

·
Über Geek, Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SO
3,841 Posts
I'm not worried about those who add flute to sax. In general they really struggle to have even a good tone and control of flute, especially third octave.
[Ducks for cover!]
Da*n right we struggle to get good tone and control; if we're struggling (especially in the woodshed), that's because we respect the instrument and know how hard it is. You just have to not be afraid of something that's hard to learn.

Fortunately, I was a clarinet player first, before anyone told me THAT was hard...:mrgreen:

·
Registered
361 Posts
Do you have the same problem with Benny Carter playing trumpet and sax? Phil Woods is an incredible clarinet player, but spent his life on alto. Provided all the doublers out there respect their instruments and put in the effort to get it right, what's the big deal? I have spent my life mastering one instrument (clarinet), but find that I get more gigs the more toys I can bring to play with. I also know my limitations. But what's the problem with expanding one's horizon?

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
I started on clarinet, then flute, then sax. I did for a while consider flute my best instrument but like anything else musical it goes off if you don't get enough practice.

So I can admit to a pretty diabolical third octave but it's not really to do with doubling per se, I don't think. It's to do with time.

·
Distinguished SOTW member
4,677 Posts
I think that the majority of "doublers" should be called flute and clarinet owners instead.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Flute came first for me, I think it is a lot harder to pickup than a sax when learning from scratch. Also, equake I can reach an f sharp (4) ;) ... then a G isn't responsive at all.
Well to be honest King it would take me some time to get that fourth register F and I'm not sure I can remember the E (4). The reason is simple. I have not practiced the flute in a while.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I started sax and picked up flute during college. My 3rd octave might not be fantastic, but I daresay that most flute turned saxophone players don't even bother to learn the saxophone's 3rd octave, much less play it with acceptable tone and intonation. So there. :p

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I started sax and picked up flute during college. My 3rd octave might not be fantastic, but I daresay that most flute turned saxophone players don't even bother to learn the saxophone's 3rd octave, much less play it with acceptable tone and intonation. So there. :p
Are you telling me sax has more than two registers?

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
The difference is, say taking show music as covering a sort of standard of doubling that involves both instruments, sax does not venture into altissimo, while flute spends 1/3 of the time unavoidably playing sweetly and controlled (in tone and volume) in the third octave. There is little flute music that keeps to two octaves, unless it is about as basic as playing hymns (i.e. hymns without the life they get when they are put up an octave :) )

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,693 Posts
How many of you started flute first and then went to saxophone? The amount of players who pick up flute for the sake of doubling bothers me..
You misspelled "dabbling".

1 - 20 of 27 Posts