Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am advanced sax player and am just learning flute to get my doubling up to scratch. I have been practising hard for two weeks, and have now got it to the stage where I'm not passing out every 2 minutes!

I'd like to ask anyone if they could recommend a good book of technical exercises for the flute to help develop my technique. Obviously I know all of my scales and have been practising them on the flute, I'm interested in more flute-specific technical exercises to really tackle the problem areas.

Thanks so much for your help!!!

·
Registered
684 Posts
You must learn "wind resistance". The sax has it built in. Get a teacher to show you haw to control your air stream.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I agree get a teacher, at least for a few lessons. I'd also look into the Moyse "De La Sonorite", Taffenel and Gaubert Complete Method and Joachim Andersen Etudes. The etudes can be found http://imslp.org/wiki/Category:Andersen,_Joachim

Trevor Wye's books are also a GREAT start. He combines elements from all of these books if I recall correctly

·
Registered
35 Posts
I found the Moyse books rather difficult to follow, but that's because it was in French :D

The Rubank Elementary Method is very accessible. Trevor Wye's primer is my preferred primer too.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,037 Posts
Taffanel Gaubert 17 exercise
Trevor Wye book 1
Nyfenger 'music and the flute'
Koehler etudes
Gariboldi etudes

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
+1 for the Trevor Wye, especially the "tone"- and the "technique" -book

"De la sonorité" is the bible for flutists, the Wye - books are a sort of popular translation of Moyse - ideal for a doubler.

Robert Dicks "Tone developement through extended techniques" is great, too! Not easy and not the "normal" way, but it can widen the horizon.

I could live without most of the etudes.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,260 Posts
I highly recommend the Robert Dick book, Tone Developemnt, mentioned above used in conjunction with the Moyse and Taffanel books also mentioned above.

The Wye books are not as good as people have mentioned here due to the numerous mistakes and errors found on almost every page. Almost the entire book is a rehashing of the Moyse study. My copy of Moyse is in three or four languages, English being one of them.

Dick's book is advanced, but the exercises on the harmonics are well worth the price of the whole book. These exercises have helped my saxophone playing tremendously, not to mention my ear.

If I had to go with two of these books, I would go with Robert Dick and Moyse.

You can go with the Trevor Wye books. Just make sure you download the errata pages from his website. I, along with the Flute Professor at a major Wisconsin University, found over 15 mistakes on two pages of exercises in his first book alone. His books are not well edited.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I use Complete Daily Exercises for Flute by Wye. It has 5 sections, Scales, Arpeggios, Tone, 3rd Octave, and Exercises.

I also use the Klose Daily Exercises for sax. Since I play an exercise or an excerpt of an exercise in different keys on sax, I also do it on flute and clarinet. Not an uncommon thing for doublers to do.

·
Registered
4 Posts
High Register Studies by Thomas J. Filas is GREAT and overlooked alot by many, just a week of working that stuff gave me a significant improvement and overall confidence in the extreme registers.

Daily Excercises for the Flute by Andre Maquarre to this day are my particular favorites. 12 key excercises, throughout a wide range on the instrument.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you work your way through the Wagner Foundation For Flute Playing, then move on to working through the Anderson books, you will have as much technique as you will ever need, short of trying out for a symphoiny orchestra position.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts