Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Contributor 2010
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for little foam inserts to glue into a flute case to improve the immobilization of the flute. I have seen an after-market, insert that was covered with velvet and glued into a bass clarinet case once. Anyone know where to get one of these?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
4,690 Posts
Not to sure if this helps, we are in the midst of gearing up to make custom high density foam inserts for all instruments and all cases. Still a couple of months away from being a commercially released product. We will be shipping world wide by the end of the year

You can in the interim, get some from a craft shop

·
4,690 Posts
Heres an example of high density foam inserts we currently manufacture for holding our tooling. It has relief areas to be able to insert thumb and finger for extraction of the item as well.

This is easy to make at the moment becuase we are only working with flat surfaces, but when we have the 3d scanner we can then adapt perfectly shaped curved surfaces, for custom fit outs..

A forum member here, already has his booked in to be the first custom fitout when we are fully tooled up, so hopefully when it gets done, we will recieve some positive feedback

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Contributor 2010
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, simso. I think I will make a trip to Michael's this weekend...

·
4,690 Posts
Yep, but that doesnt mean I can do it... Well not well anyway.

One thing you may have noticed about me matt, I will give everything a go myself first, only through trial and error with many failures can I then have an understanding and respect for those that do just that. To many people will read a book and become an authority on the subject, better to do it fail and learn from your failures.

Mpc refacing is an art, Ive analysed / laser scanned / 3d modelled mouthpieces to learn, but in the end, ive come to the understanding that the time required to get the results I desire in a Mpc, is far more economical (commercially for me) to give to someone else or purchase an off the shelf product than to sit at a repair bench scraping and filing for a couple of hrs. But only through trial and error was I able to make this informed decision

·
Distiguished SOTW Tech
1,545 Posts
I just recognized the tools as we use to sell similar at Erick Brand. I just happen to come across an original new in package "glass Guage" as we use to call it, in one of my old tool boxes.

I have a similar attitude towards learning. Most of the time my trials come out at least passable after reading the directions, however I have made my share of scrap materials.

·
4,690 Posts
Just as a side topic, in your enquiries regarding making a pickup winder, the cheapest option is an old sewing machine where you can mount the holder on the side wheel, this gives you foot control and a ridgid unit

·
Distiguished SOTW Tech
1,545 Posts
Just as a side topic, in your enquiries regarding making a pickup winder, the cheapest option is an old sewing machine where you can mount the holder on the side wheel, this gives you foot control and a ridgid unit
Yes, I think i have looked at everything on the internet about pickup winders, and a popular theme is sewing machines and drill motors. My esthetic sense is keeping me from doing another one. Hopefully when I get done people will say wow! that is a nice pickup winder instead of... Why is there an old pickup attached to that sewing machine? :)

·
4,690 Posts
Foolow up matt, wound about 10 pickups this week, the hardest thing about winding a coil is applying the exact tension on the wire as your spooling it on, to much and it snaps to little and its too loose and becomes microphonic.

I was thinking if you used two pieces of high density foam, one on each side of the wire as a friction device, you would achieve an even feed pressure. However I have not come up with any idea yet for the smooth cross feeding of the wire, other than having the turning shaft on a sprung cammed mandrel, so that way as the motor turns the coil the cam walks the coil out and in. Ideas, just no time to incorporate them.

Side note, later in the year I will make time to create a fully automatic unit if you dont as I want to wind my own coils in volume for our own guitar manufacturing venture

·
4,690 Posts
They got back to me, apparently this is the unit that will automatically wind pickups, for the light gauge wire 42awg, they recommend you also use a magnetic tensioner

Machine plus tensioner plus mounting mandrels plus shipping to aussie land- just a measily 2-3000 US Dollars

·
4,690 Posts

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
I came across some of these clever old machines recently, belonging to a local, elderly chap who has an enormous stock of old radio valves, and repairs these old radios, rewinding transformers and coils as required.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts