Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been playing the flute for 7 months and just recently bought a Yamaha soprano sax. What will the playing the soprano sax do to my flute embouchure?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,036 Posts
It will require that you practice twice as much - half on one instrument and half on the other.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
259 Posts
Having played saxophone, clarinet AND flute since high school, I enjoy doubling and promote it to anybody who wants to give it a try. However, after only 7 months on flute, my concern would be that you have not developed your flute embouchure enough. Perhaps in another 4-6 months, you would be just fine. But even then, you will have to work hard on your flute tone to keep it as pure as possible.

See http://www.larrykrantz.com/doubling.htm for some interesting comments by flute master teacher Larry Krantz.
 

·
Moderator
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
Joined
·
28,914 Posts
I agree that it's possible this is rather an early stage to try doubling, however if you feel you are ready then yes, you will need to practise twice as long, possibly more, on the two instruments.

I suggest short bursts of each, maybe no more than 5 minutes. Initially with a short break in between which you can usefully use for some breathing exercises. Also a nice embouchure exercise worth trying is alternately smiling and whistling. See how quickly you can do this it will soon help get you a more versatile embouchure. Gurning is also good practice - best done in private I find.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RCNELSON said:
Having played saxophone, clarinet AND flute since high school, I enjoy doubling and promote it to anybody who wants to give it a try. However, after only 7 months on flute, my concern would be that you have not developed your flute embouchure enough. Perhaps in another 4-6 months, you would be just fine. But even then, you will have to work hard on your flute tone to keep it as pure as possible.

See http://www.larrykrantz.com/doubling.htm for some interesting comments by flute master teacher Larry Krantz.
Yeah I think're right. Last night I played the sax for about an hour. Then this moring when I tried to play the flute it took me a while to get my embouchure working but still had trouble through out the day. I believe that dam thing recked my embouchure. So I think I will sell the sax.
 

·
SOTW Administrator
Joined
·
26,207 Posts
YSS475II said:
Yeah I think're right. Last night I played the sax for about an hour. Then this moring when I tried to play the flute it took me a while to get my embouchure working but still had trouble through out the day. I believe that dam thing recked my embouchure. So I think I will sell the sax.
Sell the flute instead.;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
717 Posts
I double on flute most nights in pit orchestras. It is even harder than doubling on oboe in terms of setting a good embouchure in a very short period of time. That however, is a doubling issue. I agree that it is too soon to start doubling in this case. Get your flute embouchure down first to the point where you can get a variety of flute tones on command.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
danarsenault said:
I double on flute most nights in pit orchestras. It is even harder than doubling on oboe in terms of setting a good embouchure in a very short period of time. That however, is a doubling issue. I agree that it is too soon to start doubling in this case. Get your flute embouchure down first to the point where you can get a variety of flute tones on command.
Yep I think that is sound advice. Anyway I'm asking $1200 for it in the for sale forum if anyone wants it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
I would keep the soprano until you are ready to double on it. Don't sell it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
baritone saxophone said:
I would keep the soprano until you are ready to double on it. Don't sell it.
Yeah maybe. I'll see if anyone responds to the for sale post. If I can't get what I paid for it then yes I'll keep it.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top