Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking for recommendations for flight cases for a baritone... sadly she's got to have a trip in the hold so recommendations gratefully received (Yanagisawa B992 if that's of any relevance).

Cheers!

Edit: I'm based in the UK so ideally something available here.. BAM seems like the most available option.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
The BAM is probably your best bet. I've got a MTS case that Kessler had made specifically for Yani baris; https://www.kesslerandsons.com/product/custom-made-case-for-yanagisawa-bari-saxes/ but by the time you have it shipped to the UK and pay the import fees it probably won't be much cheaper than the BAM and it isn't as light or as pretty.

The other option is to decide how often you're going to need to do this. If it's just a one-time deal I'd think about using the stock case double boxed with the original packaging. You can pack the horn in the stock case as tightly as any aftermarket case you could get and the packaging Yani ships the horns in is very well designed. I bought my B992 from USA Horn while visiting my family in New Jersey but had it shipped via UPS to Colorado. I saw the UPS guy coming up the walk with the box on his shoulder when it arrived but couldn't get to the door quick enough before he flipped it off his shoulder and planted it on my stoop like the Marines raising the flag at Iwo Jima. It was in perfect shape when I unboxed it.

Regardless if it's going underneath there's no guarantee it will make the trip without damage no matter how much packaging you use or how much you spend on a flight case. The one bad thing about the BAM is it looks a lot like the cases people use to travel with golf clubs and so may be treated the same way which I'd suspect is less than ideal.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Just an idea, since you are in Europe. It might be cheaper to purchase an extra ticket, and strap it in the seat. Cellist used to do that before better cases were available.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Keith. BAM is indeed looking like the best bet as I'm likely to be doing this 3 times a year. Maybe I'll write 'these are not golf clubs' with a permanent marker on the case :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Jim. Just to add even more risk I fly British Airways and they have a service to pick up my luggage from home (and look after things very well) and I then just collect it at my destination... saves me lugging it through London to the airport (so I can carry my alto as my carry on...)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Empressdiver - it looks like I have to explore options other than BAM anyway as they have so many back orders now (and are allegedly changing the construction hence the production delays).

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,947 Posts
Regardless if it's going underneath there's no guarantee it will make the trip without damage no matter how much packaging you use or how much you spend on a flight case. The one bad thing about the BAM is it looks a lot like the cases people use to travel with golf clubs and so may be treated the same way which I'd suspect is less than ideal.
I would have thought a proper flightcase would be fine, but I wouldn't call a BAM a proper flightcase. At least not the ones I've seen. I've toured witha tenor in a flightcase - and I mean a proper custom touring case made from plywood and aluminium with 2" foam inside custom fitted to the horn. And it was very heavy. Mostly I had to have it moved around by the road crew. This would be even more true of a baritone -it would be a nightmare if you have to travel it to the airport yourself on public transport.

Just an idea, since you are in Europe. It might be cheaper to purchase an extra ticket, and strap it in the seat. Cellist used to do that before better cases were available.
I agree. I would do this, it should be more economical given that you will be unlikely to get a viable baritone flight case off the shelf.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,134 Posts
It might be easier to rent a baritone in the destination city

1 - 11 of 11 Posts