Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been practicing a lot of overtones and long tones recently, and what I've noticed is that oftentimes I need to bite to get the upper register (second octave G and higher) anywhere in tune, and once they're actually in tune they end up sounding pinched because I'm biting. When I don't bite the sound is much more open but it is about 20 cents flat. When I do my overtones the first 2-3 overtones sound fine but it also gets flat once I get to the 4th overtone or higher.

What am I doing wrong? could it possibly be my setup, or embouchure or voicing? I currently use a Yanagisawa AW-01 with a Vandoren v16 medium chamber mouthpiece (tip is 6m) with a 3 strength java red reed.

Thanks!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Try changing the length of your neckstrap to raise the horn to a position that let's the wind flow more freely with less pinch from the lower lip and teeth. That gives the lower portion of the embouchure a little room to work with. Just try slight adjustments until you find the "Sweet Spot" where your jaw doesn't need to change too much from low notes to high notes. Less embouchure change allows the notes from the bottom of the horn to the top of the horn have good even flow. Altissimo notes will sound good also. Stand straight with good posture and don't slouch is my suggestion for players this might help.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts