Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my YTS-23 has a weird intonation thing going on. I cannot play the low end in tune unless the mpc(Vandoren V16 T6) is pushed all the way onto the cork. So from about F down it's flat but sometimes low Bb just gets up to being in tune if I'm really firm on the embouchure and close up my throat.

The high end from about C up into the palm keys plays sharp because the mpc is pushed all the way on. I can lip it down but it's a considering amount of lipping it down.

I have never had this problem on any other horn. It's been setup and there are no leaks. It's a like new horn. So pads are good, cork and felts are good. I'm wondering if it's possibly the neck or if it's just me.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Wrong mouthpiece / sax marriage

be boring stick a stock 5C or C* and check outthe intonation then. What you describe is normal on all sax's however the wrong mouthpiece / sax combination can exagerate the intonation issues. 23's are pretty consistent robust student sax's built like tanks and great for marching bands, you may have had a dud setup done on key heights but first I would check it out with a stock mouthpiece before questioning the setup.

Just my 2p - Kenny

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,986 Posts
The horn plays very flat from F down.

I assume it does this both on F1-Bb1 as well as F2-D2 ?

So, if all mouthpieces require you to push in dramatically in order to get those notes in tune....I would say the keyheights on the lower stack and the low C key are too low....while the keyheights on the upper stack keys may be OK, or even a tad high.

So, IMHO a trip to tech is in order. There might be a leak, still. The upper palms playing sharp might indicate that the body octave pip is remaining open just a hair when the neck pip is open.

Or it might be that simply opening up the lower stack and C keyheights a bit sharpens those notes F and down and therefore brings the entire horn within reasonable variance up and down the registers.

The Low Bb being flat while your m'pc is pushed all the way on is still a bit of a head-scratcher, tho. How does the low B intone ?

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Low B is actually flatter than low Bb. Once the horn is warmed up low Bb is pretty much in tune with a firm embouchure but F to low B is still flat and low E is especially flat.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,986 Posts
Low B being flat could just be a matter of the low Bb keycup being set too low.

Low C or C# being flat could be matter of both bellkeys set too low.

a Flat D could be low C set too low.

a Flat E could be the D and C keycups set too low, etc...

I think this is fixable. If not completely, then certainly improvable to within an acceptable variance.

Dumb question, but necessary: It IS a 23 neck, yes ?

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got some #3 ZZ reeds (had been using Java red 2-1/2) and the intonation is actually better. Also, realize that the horn is down in the basement where it's kind of cold so once it warms up the low Bb is in tune and the other notes are better as well. So I guess I won't leave the horn in the basement anymore but still might have my tech check the low F and E.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts