Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I'm in the process of fullfilling my dream of having the engraving on my 10M turned into a tattoo on my calf. Currently I just have the lady in the pentagram in the middle. I've got an artist who will give me a good price on finishing out the rest, but obviously she would really like to have a good photograph or drawing to work from.

Getting a tracing off the horn is difficult, due to the shape of the bell. Photographs have a similar problem.

I'm wondering if anyone out the has gone through the effort of producing a rendition of the 10M engraving on paper or a digital image?

I know there are variations on the engraving; mine is pretty much the standard, mid-40's era 10M (320xxx range), and I'd like to find something close to that.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks all!

Don

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
Put a sheet of thin paper very tightly over the engraving. rub across with a soft pencil. the 'white' part showing through should be the engraving.

[old guy opinion] Tattoos are stupid.[/old guy opinion]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you ever tried this? given the shape of the bell (hyperbolic, right), I have trouble seeing how to get a good tracing onto a piece of paper. I certainly haven't been successful at it. But I'm clumsy. Plus, the engraving on my horn is really light.
But if someone out there has done it and has some tips, I'm all ears! OR if you did it and can send me a scan, that would be great!

[young(ish) guy rant]F you dad, get out of my room![/young(ish) guy rant]

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
Yes, it's probably a relac, so the engraving has been filled in a bit. I have done this on my MkVI, but it's very deeply engraved, and original laq.

Maybe you could find someone on here to help you---heck, you might even get someone to draw the design (maybe even the full body instead of the 'ladyface' version). There are several artists on here.

The local engraving expert is Jason Dumars.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Dang! That sounds really cool! I might suggest bringing your horn to your tattoo artist ,she should be able to do a template from it either by tracing or visually copying. Most good artists are used to working on curved surfaces and visualizing how something will look wrapped around an arm and in motion as the muscles flex and tense. This is why some tattoos look so dorky, you know the ones I mean ( tall castle towers, 45 magnum pistols ). This would actually be a really good source of imagery for a tattoo.
[middle-aged man rant ...on...]Not all tattoos are dumb,not all tattoos are cool.[middle-aged man rant...off...]

·
Insert cutesy caption du jour here
673 Posts
wrapped around the bell.... wrapped around your leg..... it's a natural.....

You could put dumber things on your leg, but..... all the sax folks would recognize it immediately!!!!

Your thinkin'... that's for sure!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
2,323 Posts
donundeen, very easy go to Artistic engraving website they have all the Conn,Selmer,Buescher engravings on one or two pages you can download without a
Hassle and give it to your artist or let her download it your choice.
If people think Tattoos are stupid they should see my upper arm with a club scene 1952 with Bird on alto sax Roy Haynes on drums Min gus on bass
last but not least Monk on piano with great detail from expressions to drinks in glass cigarette smoke microphones the whole nine yards black and white.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I just got that on my arm about a month ago; Takes up almost from shoulder to elbow (based on a 10m size)on my right arm. My artist thought it was pretty badassed.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,564 Posts
Consider that future girlfriends are going to inevitably be inquiring as to the identity of the naked lady on your leg.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I got the plaque from the Pioneer spacecraft a few years ago. When we are allowed to wear shorts to work, my wife draws bathing suits on the people with permanet marker.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is Done!
In the end, I just had the artist visually copy it. It was slightly simplified, because the densely packed lines would have just all merged together in a few years anyways.
I'm quite happy with the results!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
Yep,

I'd definitely say that Donundee is completely committed to playing his Conn... :bluewink:

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Real Conn adoration for sure.

Now you will only have to find a Conn loving sax playing girlfriend
to blow your big toe.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I don't want to rain on your parade 'cause I think this was a great idea for a tattoo,but...isn't that an unacceptable amount of blow out on the naked lady portrait? The lines should be nice and crisp,well defined and not get all wide and soft with lots of 'bleed' like in your shot. Properly done, the lines should stay sharp for the life of the tattoo. Mine's fifteen years old and still looks as fresh as the day I got it. Sorry,just saying.

·
Registered
925 Posts
It seems that your artist went with the "make it look just like the engraving" angle. I really like how the jagged edges came out on yours. It takes balls to have the text put in the scroll work too.

My artist turned the jagged engravings into dark shading, and wound up having to make the lady just a little bigger in proportion to the actual engraving. I went with the empty banner scroll work. I'll figure a way to put mine up sometime soon.

Do you find that the people who recognize the design immediately seem to be awesome?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,107 Posts
I thought at first, "This is wacked." But bikers get Harley tattoos. So why not a Conn?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts