Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

I am finding that E2 on my "new" clarinet is rather flat (in relation to surrounding notes and absolutely). Generally the tuning on the instrument is good but this note is well off to my ears (and to the tuner).The note also sounds rather stuffy and airy. I can lip it up or use a false fingering but if there is an easy fix in terms of adjustment i'd appreciate the info and it might mean I can avoid a 3 hour drive to get it sorted out.

Thanks in advance.

·
Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician &
4,982 Posts
How good and/or daring are you messing with the keys etc.?

Assuming it is the note Ben showed, most likely the key is too low. That's the key with pad connected to the second (flipping-the-bird-finger) ring key. You can try removing that key to check. Usually you only need to remove the bottom pivot screw of this key, then 'play' with it until you get it out from the other pivot end. Then play test with the key off. Another possiblity is something blocking that tone hole or the two tone holes of this key.

If that's not the problem or you can't check it, I'd recommend giving it to a good repairer to check.

·
8,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where is E2? Lowermost staff line? :line1:
Yes. I'm pretty sure that the issue is the pad clarinbass mentions being too low. Does the key actually have to be removed to adjust and get it higher or can I do something with everything still attached? I'm not really confident to start removing keys and rods.

Thanks for replies.

·
Researcher, Teacher and Horn Revitalizer, Forum Co
3,505 Posts
per above, after removing or visually checking the key and seeing if there are any obstructions,

check and see if there is cork on the lower part of that key at the bridge. Usually cork/felt is used to keep it from making contact with the body and noise when open. If that cork is too thick then it can be thinned by sandpaper (move back and forth underneath it) and this will allow that pad to open more.

BUT that upper joint key should be "in sync" with the lower joint

on the lower joint when both joints are together the cork under the lower joint bridge mechanism may be too thick, thus lowering the upper joint key. (your C/G may be stuffy too) and you can sand the cork underneath that too which will allow both the lower and upper key to open more.

do not sand the cork under the bridge key lip (where the upper and lower joint mechanisms touch) as that should be "in sync" with the upper and lower joint keywork movement. With this we are just trying to allow the pad to vent more by where the mechanism material stops against the body.

Sometimes there's too thick of cork on the upper joint, which does not allow it to properly connect to the lower joint. And sometimes the cork under the lower joint bridge key is too thick.

Good luck our furry friend :)

·
8,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Excellent. Thanks for all advice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts