Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got in our first of the Flamingos. 1 Limited Alto and 2 Standard Altos... no tenors yet.

I have posted pictures online on both our regular www.kesslermusic.com website but also at our new "Selmer Paris Pro Shop" website here: http://www.kesslermusic.com/SelmerParis/html/saxes/bird.htm

This series has no High F# (we will report whether there is a noticeable playing difference or not soon). Whats kind of funny is that the body rib and the neck tenon are still the same part so they are cutout to accomodate the high F# key, even though there isnt one on these. I personally would have preferred them to have these parts available without the cutout for the tone hole as it would have looked more "original"

What is actually really interesting is the Standard Alto. On the previous versions, the standard model alto (hummingbird and kookaburra) used the lighter "honey gold" lacquer and simply had less ellaborate engraving.

The Flamingo Standard is using the same Dark Brown lacquer as the limited, and has very good engaving, just a different pattern then the limited, but the Quality of the engraving is right on par.

Personally, I actually prefer the Standard Flamingo engraving over the Limited on this model.

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
4,272 Posts
DaveKessler said:
Got in our first of the Flamingos. 1 Limited Alto and 2 Standard Altos... no tenors yet.

I have posted pictures online on both our regular www.kesslermusic.com website but also at our new "Selmer Paris Pro Shop" website here: http://www.kesslermusic.com/SelmerParis/html/saxes/bird.htm

This series has no High F# (we will report whether there is a noticeable playing difference or not soon). Whats kind of funny is that the body rib and the neck tenon are still the same part so they are cutout to accomodate the high F# key, even though there isnt one on these. I personally would have preferred them to have these parts available without the cutout for the tone hole as it would have looked more "original"

What is actually really interesting is the Standard Alto. On the previous versions, the standard model alto (hummingbird and kookaburra) used the lighter "honey gold" lacquer and simply had less ellaborate engraving.

The Flamingo Standard is using the same Dark Brown lacquer as the limited, and has very good engaving, just a different pattern then the limited, but the Quality of the engraving is right on par.

Personally, I actually prefer the Standard Flamingo engraving over the Limited on this model.
I like this engraving on all the Flamingo series the most over the limited refs. I'm interested in your review without the high F# too.

Thanks for sharing :)

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tjontheroad said:
I like this engraving on all the Flamingo series the most over the limited refs. I'm interested in your review without the high F# too.

Thanks for sharing :)
Of the Limtied Engravings, my favorite was personally the Kookaburra. I loved that big engraved wing coming out towards the logo.

However, the Flamingo Standard engraving reminds me more of the old Portrait style engravings from the old Conns. What impressed me was that it wasnt the lower Quality of engraving that the other Standard models suffered from.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Thanks Dave. Is there any chance you can post a picture of the spot where the F# was. If It plays like my III with the F# removed it should RIP!

Anthony

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SplitTony said:
Thanks Dave. Is there any chance you can post a picture of the spot where the F# was. If It plays like my III with the F# removed it should RIP!

Anthony
I have that photo on both horns picture series... here is one direct though:

·
Registered
59 Posts
My experience on Flamingo Tenor

I've also tried out the new Flamingo Tenor yesterday. This time the dealer has secured 2 tenors from Selmer Japan. Unfortunately, there is leakage in one of the tenors. Regarding the outlook, it is especially amazing when a big bird is engraved under a tenor. Although only collectors edition is offered for tenor model, the body is made of "honey gold" I/O dark gold. Anyway, the black mother pearl keys make the sax particularly attractive. As I havn't brought my tenor mpc, thus I used the bundled C* mpc plus Hemke 3.5 reeds to test the horn. The tone quality is exactly the same as normal Ref 36 tenor, where the sound is relatively brighter vs Ref 54 tenor. Similar to other collectors model, the key setup has been fine-tuned and thus it is very smooth and nice. Frankly I can't find material improvements from removal of F# except it looks closer to old SBA sax. If you like the sound of Ref36 and is willing to pay a premium for nice engraving and key setup, this tenor would be your cup of tea.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
DaveKessler said:
Hey! I've only got one question. In these engravings...where the hell's John Waters?

:twisted:

·
Registered
337 Posts
Yeah, that is one heck of a sweet looking alto. Looks like I'll have to pick up some mob work so I can get one.

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
4,272 Posts
So does this mean that sooner or later there will be a non F# plain ol' Ref 36 horn someday? The engraving and rareness of these tenors are very cool, but the price is a bit steep. Heck, I'd be afraid to play the thing on my next world tour else it may become tainted ;)

·
Registered
337 Posts
I think Selmer should just get it over with and release a Reference 54 Tenor, unlacquered, with no high F#.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts