Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
i'm gonna repost a new thread about flamenco cause i'm really into it these days
i really wanna wich chords or type of riffs are used in flamenco or latin music in general ; i wanna add it to my repertoire and start to play some new grooves

so anyone ! just any tip can be useful

thanks

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,919 Posts
Wow that's a big generalisation!

To begin with flamenco is Spanish, not Latin American.

Latin American covers many genres, many of which are very very different from each other. It would be good if you were a bit more specific.

The most obvious (to many people) Flamenco sequence would be E, F, G Am and permutations of that.

To learn some Latin sequences it would be worth listening to a lot, and also getting some sheet music, transcribing etc.

But first learn about what is different between Mambo, Samba, Tango, Rhumba, Salsa, Bossa Nova, Merengue etc.

The harmonies can range between very simple two or three (triadic) chords to sophisticated sequences with alterarations and extended chords etc. .

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
As Pete said, Flamenco and Latin Music is a wide field with many subgenres.
For Flamenco, these are f.e. Buleria, Alegria, Sevilliana and Rumba (but note, that rumba in flamenco is different to rumba in cuba). Flamenco is dance music (often for solo artists), so it's more about interaction and rhythm, not so much about chords.
Some things are really weird: They count 12, 1, 2/ 3 4 5 ..... where we would say 1 2 3 / 4 5 6 .... I had one project with spanish guys and they liked what I played on my flute, but man, sometimes I felt so lost!
Some of Chick Corea's pieces are influenced from flamenco (spain, la fiesta), so perhaps this is a good starting point

1 - 5 of 5 Posts