Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yall -- check this action out -- a flame throwing sax! I rigged it up to an old Baritone King sax, and placed the trigger to the "low A" key (it's just a low-Bb horn).

https://vimeo.com/62751195

In this video, it's at 2:22 in.

This is my second version of the rig, and it works incredibly well! Plays beautifully as well, soft and velvety and rich... but nobody seems to care about that.

Jeans Photograph Building Tableware Drink

·
Registered
Selmer Balanced Action Tenor Saxophone, Powell Flute
3,657 Posts
AWESOME!!! You should offer a DIY Kit to convert your Bari into a flame thrower! The music was nice too. Reminds me of some of the Naked City stuff I used to dig on while driving:)

·
Registered
923 Posts
I can think of a few uses for that, not the least of which would be to unleash it on the next trumpet player who decides to "warm up" at fff right in my ear. That'd warm him up all right...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,587 Posts
Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for one night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

I can imagine this horn coming to a burning night club sometime soon.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
A guy in our quartet has an old Buescher bass sax in satin silver plate. I've been wanting to put a steam whistle on the top bow, with a little chain he can pull to blow it toot toot...

·
Registered
931 Posts
My wife mentioned something about my horn and a flame, but I think she meant something different . . .? :scratch:

Cool effect and cool music - that was fun!

·
Forum Contributor 2008-2016
908 Posts
Fantastic band and clip, congrats! What happened to the bank you so magnificently robbed ?
And, BTW, is the flame thrower a personal contraption or is it available commercially ?
J

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
Awesome...puts a whole new spin on GAS!

What do you follow that one with on a gig?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys! Glad you dig it! The set-up is not commercially available. I had the idea a few years back, while on tour with a guy that blew fire (he was a circus type of guy). Boots Hughston used to do a similar thing back in the 70s. This is actually the 2nd one I've built, and is considerably more flexible and efficient than the first. It's also COMPLETELY safe!
Glad you dig the music, too. I do the writing for the band, and we tour a bunch, though we're on a writing/recording hiatus at the moment -- check our website, and we'll be playing a whole lot in the fall (WITH the flame-o-phone!)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts