Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ordered a Francois Louis Ultimate ligature for my tenor. I really like this lig for my alto so I wanted one for Tenor also. Upon receiving it I immediately noticed that they no longer provide the 3 various interchangable plates. You only get 1. When did this happen? Can you still get the different plates somewhere?
Lookes on WWBW and Prowinds to no avail.
Part of the reason I ordered this lig was for the flexability the various plates provide. I never thought they would have stopped producing them, going back to the website and looking at the product, nothing is mentioned of the other 2 plates. O well, still a good lig dissapointed they stopped providing the other plates.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
You may be thinking of the additional set you can order online o the vandoren ligatures. FL has only ever come with one plate.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You may be thinking of the additional set you can order online o the vandoren ligatures. FL has only ever come with one plate.
I have both the FL Ultimate and the Vandoren Optimum ligatures for my alto and they both have interchangable plates. When I ordered my optimum for my alto several years ago it even came with a screwdriver to change out the plates.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Years ago, the Francois Louis Company made different plates as well as longer screws and also screw extensions. We used to sell all the plates and screw options, but at some point they quit making them. As far as I know, the different reed plates (solid brass, and rubber coated steel) were never included with the ligature as we sold them as a separate option. However, there may have been some dealers who included them with the plates. That was probably 6-7 years ago when the brass and rubber plates were available.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,006 Posts
They probably discontinued using multiple plates when it became apparent that it didn't matter which plate is used, as long as it fits properly. So if the lig fits well with whatever plate you're using, there's no need to fiddle around using a different one.

Some years ago I had a FL lig with one plate and it worked very well. Until the lig broke. I also have a Vandoren lig with 3 plates, and they all work equally well. It even fits well and works great without any of those plates inserted.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Just write to Francois, if you have problems with the plate that came with the lig. He is the nicest guy :) I once broke mine, and he offered to solder it. I said I would try to do it myself. He then send me some spare parts for free, including a different plate than the original to try out. I am sure he will give you a very fair price if you want different plates. (I have bought two FL ligs, and they all came with one plate btw)

http://francois-louis.com/Contact/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts