Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a FL lig for my Otto Link a few weeks ago...

On the instructions on the cap they say to wet the soft cushion to keep the reed wet. Normally I always take the reed off after playing, but if i leave the reed on the mouthpiece overnight with the cap on, next day the whole reed turned black!!! Like if the moisture turned the reed black.

Did any of you have similar issues?

Regards!

·
Registered
258 Posts
not sure if I would leave the reed wet overnight in that.
+1 to this.

Conversely to your issue, I also found that the "cushion" acted more like a sponge when I put the cap on the mouthpiece dry... so I just took the cushion out of the cap. Still works fine.

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
I think the FL caps suck,never been a fan.I love the lig though.I never take my reed off after playing,only every couple of days to clean the mp,reed.Done this for 20 odd years.When i find a reed that works its on the mp till it die's.Watched the Sanborn videos of him at Selmer HQ and he does the same so cant be that bad.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,683 Posts
The idea is to keep the reed wet during breaks on a gig or practice session. NOT overnight.

Don't worry though, that cap will soon break and it's relatively useless anyway. A cap that fully covers the mpc is your best bet.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
1,223 Posts
Te humidity remain only on the area that touch the reed and watch out, black stuff are usualy mildew, wich can cause lung disease.

·
Registered
274 Posts
FL Ligs can be useful on real hot, dry days when you are doubling to keep reeds from warping on the horns you are not using. But they are easy to misplace, so usually I just use synthetic reeds for those occasions.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I love my FL ligs and caps, especially when I'm playing shows but I definetly wouldnt keep it on the reed over night.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts