Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently am in the process of fixing up the first sax I ever owned, a Jupiter SAS-767. I sold it in high school, but got it back, and now I want to use it as a backup. I'm about to strip the lacquer off using the same process as Enviroguy. Do I need to remove the springs before I strip it? Would it damage the springs to leave them on?

Here are some before pictures:

http://s1115.photobucket.com/albums/k560/bamsax2007/Jupiter/

Also, if anyone knows anything about these saxes, I'd love to learn more about it.

·
Banned
1,611 Posts
No, you don't have to strip the springs. Take the keys off, strip all the pads and corks, then strip the lacquer off all pieces. Then replace pads and corks and swedge the keys as you assemble the horn. You have to straighten the rods and keys and align the posts during re-assembly. It a lot of work for a student horn and it won't be worth more. I have left the springs in on every horn I have ever stripped. I use aircraft stripper myself.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know the horn is probably not worth the effort, but it is to me since it was what got me started. I just thought I'd turn it in to a backup/outdoor horn. We have a lot of outdoor performances in the community band i'm in, and the stage is right beside a creek. It gets pretty hot and humid, and I'd like to spare my Yamaha from that as much as possible.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,960 Posts
If the climate is like that...may I ask why you wanna strip the lacquer ? Even if it's not perty anymore, I would tend to just leave the remaining lacq on and chem-bathe it, followed by a hand-polish.

Yes, the bare brass will look really good initially after stripping and polishing, but in an environment like that you are rolling the dice a bit w/ how it will patina over time....

Just a thought.....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,704 Posts
I agree. 20 years from now people are really going to be asking why the heck people did this to horns in age of high tech finishes. I know this is a lower end model, Im just sayin...

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm still considering stripping it, but I'm probably gonna try it first on a trumpet I got for $10 at a garage sale

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,960 Posts
OK, good idea to experiment on something else first (I hope the trumpet isn't a Martin Handcraft or Getzen Special, mind you)...but once again...I am just wondering...why ?

Not being a wiseass...just honestly curious. Is it an aesthetic thing ????

1 - 9 of 9 Posts