Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having a problem with my YTS 23 tenor. The entire horn plays in tune exceptionally well, with one note out of whack, the middle d. I can compensate for this by putting down the low Bb key, but it's awkward for fast passages, kills the projection, and is a bit stuffy, resistance wise. If there any method in particular that you guys would recommend to bring the D back in tune without any nuts fingerings? I've never done any major work on my own horns before, but I've got every tool known to man (3rd generation carpenter, believe me, if it's been made, I have one, or two, or six) and can follow instructions well.

·
Non Resident SOTW Eccentric & 2012 Forum Contribut
3,259 Posts
I just bought Steve Howard's Saxophone Manual. Great price from Amazon and everything one needs to know unless one is going to be a pro sax tech/

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
The typical fingering adjustment to bring the pitch of D2 down is to add the low B key. This is useful when the note is sustained and the intonation is obvious. In a fast technical passage the D's intonation is not as critical because of the short duration of the note.

If you must tinker with it there are a couple of things to try. Please remember though everything is a trade off.

1. You can reduce the venting of the D by closing the low C key opening with a longer felt bumper. This will help to lower the pitch of D2, but may make D1 too flat. Remember, it is much easier to lip down than up---especially in the lower register. The other downside of this is it will make the D even more undervented and stuffy than it normally is.

2. You can add a crescent to the mouthpiece side of the low C tonehole which vents the D. See this Music Medic Article for instructions. This will not make the D as stuffy as lowering the key, but it may have the negative effect of making the low D too flat to be used.

I have been looking for the "holy grail" modification to bring the D2 pitch down without causing stuffiness and without making the low D too flat for a long time. Maybe this thread will spark some genius in someone to come up with a solution (other than reworking the taper of the body tube).

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've read about the crescent stuff before on music medic, as well as here. Thanks for reminding me. I might try it. I might try closing the low C a bit, too. the stuffiness doesn't bother me nearly as much as the awkward b fingering, I have to play a lot of technical stuff, so anything that slows me down isn't so good.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,564 Posts
I have been looking for the "holy grail" modification to bring the D2 pitch down without causing stuffiness and without making the low D too flat for a long time. Maybe this thread will spark some genius in someone to come up with a solution (other than reworking the taper of the body tube).
I thought that guy from the "birthplace of jazz" that no one ever talks about on here fixed the D2, Eb2 and E2 tuning by super gluing some globs of brass to an incredibly overpriced neck with a tenon that you can bend by hand...:evil:

I fell for it about a year ago...won't try that again!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought that guy from the "birthplace of jazz" that no one ever talks about on here fixed the D2, Eb2 and E2 tuning by super gluing some globs of brass to an incredibly overpriced neck with a tenon that you can bend by hand...:evil:

That's it! All I need to do is glue some brass, or better yet, some rocks to the outside of my neck, several feet from the problem tone holes, and that'll fix it!

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,564 Posts
I play a Cannonball and I like my rocks...They never claimed to fix the intonation and stuffiness of middle D-E that is present on a lot of saxes. They just look cool, and allegedly have an improvement on the resonance of the horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
1,863 Posts
I play a Cannonball and I like my rocks...They never claimed to fix the intonation and stuffiness of middle D-E that is present on a lot of saxes. They just look cool, and allegedly have an improvement on the resonance of the horn.
True just wait till one of them stones drops off - you notice a real difference

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
1,863 Posts
I think an ideal mod and the holy grail would be to add a further 9i.e. 3rd octave pip for D.

·
Banned
5,336 Posts

If you still have the neck send me a PM. I might like to buy it to do some acoustic tests if the price is right.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts