Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Alto that needs a repair on the neck octave arm,has cracks where the screw holds spring(screw fell out).I called a tech and he quoted me 50.00 to silver solder it.Is this fair?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Seems fair to me. It also has to be adjusted to line up right. If it is cracked where the screw goes in it will have to be drilled and new threads taped in.

·
Distiguished SOTW Tech
1,545 Posts
If nobody has attempted an improper fix by soft soldering or gluing, your repair tech should make out pretty well and you are getting a fair price. If he is fixing a mucked up repair he is giving you a deal. I do a lot of this type of repair.

I have a Alto that needs a repair on the neck octave arm,has cracks where the screw holds spring(screw fell out).I called a tech and he quoted me 50.00 to silver solder it.Is this fair?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No I am not going to touch it,leave this to the pro's.I am going to start learning to solder, my tech let me sit in on a post re-solder.Not that bad a task with the right tools and method.

Thanks to all replies.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
$50 Canadian is a great price. It sounds very similar to the prices charged in my area. And it also sound very cheap considering the tools and skill involved.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,526 Posts
Simple task for a craftsman/artisan that has a developed touch and feel for the work, requiring many hours of trial based experience to perform such work well...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,526 Posts
Pain in the ***** job BTW because the tech sure does not want you coming back with a failed repair...

·
Distiguished SOTW Tech
1,545 Posts
Pain in the ***** job BTW because the tech sure does not want you coming back with a failed repair...
If done properly, it will not be coming back. It is really not a bad job to do. It takes time and good prep work. Keys that are "repaired" with soft solder will break again. The reason it will take longer to repair if someone has already tried that method is that silver solder won't bond to the places where there is lead solder. It has to be thoroughly cleaned.

Here is an image of a repair similar to yours. The previous owner had it lead soldered(which failed) and the flat spring screw was broken off. I had to drill out the flat spring hole fill it with silver solder and drilland tap it. As well as put the two key halves back together. I touched up the plating as well.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/slausonm/100_1902.jpg

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
I agree. Fair price, and gift price if there are complications.

Now if this were a car part, not replaceable, involving similar type of work - preparation, brazing, drilling, re-tapping to appropriate screw size, and replacing a part, followed by adjustment carried out by judicious bending - what would you have to pay?

What about if it were part of a camera? A broken switch on a cordless drill?

·
Distiguished SOTW Tech
1,545 Posts
I agree. Fair price, and gift price if there are complications...What about if it were part of a camera? A broken switch on a cordless drill?
We keep musical instruments forever but cameras and cordless drills get thrown away when they break. If they are worthy of repair the price tag would be pretty high.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,710 Posts
You have to consider his time, his liability, his knowledge, and the fact that he has to eat. Its nice to get a bargain but sometimes there is no alternative to just paying. Im not a tech but I imagine its not a 10 minute job. Sounds like everyone can leave happy on this one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts