Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I bought this Selmer Ref54 neck for my Mark VI alto. I like it but it's not the 3rd generation model so it has some minor intonation challenges (palm keys are sharp). Can someone fix this neck? Or is the only option to sell this neck and buy a 3rd generation one?

Thanks!
-TH

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
13,072 Posts
Hi,

I bought this Selmer Ref54 neck for my Mark VI alto. I like it but it's not the 3rd generation model so it has some minor intonation challenges (palm keys are sharp). Can someone fix this neck? Or is the only option to sell this neck and buy a 3rd generation one?

Thanks!
-TH
I don't know how anyone could fix it. I have one also. I actually get a gurgle on the low end of my Ref 54 with it with certain mouthpieces. I believe the original Ref 54 neck is longer and has a larger opening at the cork if I remember correctly. I like how this fattens the tone but I think it might come with other issues as is apparent. Do you not have the Mark VI neck or are you just trying something new? I have a neck here from the Boston Sax Shop called the Heritage Neck that is based off of a BA neck but Jack fine tuned it a bit to get better intonation. I'm working on doing a review of it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How sharp ?
With the original neck D and E (palm keys) are about +5 cents sharp but with the ref neck D is +20 sharp and e is the worst (+35 cents sharp). I have tried this with several mouthpieces and this tendency is always there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts