Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m using fibracell reeds on my bari Sax. I’ve got a tiny chip in one. I think it hit the ligature while putting it on. Is there anything I can do to fix it? Sand it, clip it etc? It makes a funny sound when I play it. Can’t really describe the sound. Thanks Joe

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Not really. You can clip it, but then you'll have to do a lot of sanding to get it back down to the original strength, if that's even possible. Unfortunately a chip is usually catastrophic when it comes to any sort of reed.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks. I already bought a backup. Have to be more careful putting them on I guess. It’s only a month old.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Always put on the ligature first , then the reed. It 's the safest way...

·
Registered
377 Posts
Thanks. I’m a bit new to Sax. Maybe not slide it in tip first?
First the ligature, then slide the back of the reed in the ligature. And use a cap to protect the tip if you're not playing.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Yep. My ligature is on the mouthpiece all the time anyway. No reason to take it off. If it isn't, then put it on first. Next slide the reed on, back first from the tip of the mouthpiece as others have said. When the cost of broken reeds begins to sink in, you become very careful very quickly.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep. My ligature is on the mouthpiece all the time anyway. No reason to take it off. If it isn't, then put it on first. Next slide the reed on, back first from the tip of the mouthpiece as others have said. When the cost of broken reeds begins to sink in, you become very careful very quickly.
Yes I’ve definitely become careful quickly.

·
Registered
377 Posts
As this thread is about fixing a Fibracell, maybe we can expand the question to “Fix a Fibracell reed…that is starting to delaminate”?

The delamination I encountered starts at the heel of the reed. The plastic foils starts shifting a tiny bit towards one side each time I play it. It takes weeks before you really notice it. Until it comes to a point that the back of the reed does not seal well with the mouthpiece table and as such becomes unplayable.
Since the plastic foil is held in place with some sort of glue, I’m thinking of heating the back of the reed and then try to push the foil back to its original place. At room temperature that’s impossible.
Has anyone tried that before?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Fibracells that have a spot that is delaminating along the table-side rail edge can be lightly sanded, to eliminate the area that's delaminating, and still play fine. I think the problem may be a result of scraping against the rails, so try to be extra careful by placing the reed against the table first, and then sliding the ligature over them. I haven't had one delaminate, since I began doing this. YMMV

1 - 11 of 11 Posts