Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been practicing a lot with some of the slowest etudes in this great book but have found it difficult to figure out which tunes/standards the chord changes come from in some etudes, apart form the obvious blues or rythm changes.

Does anyone knows the names tune names of the following etudes?:

Irving Park Road
Waveland Avenue
Belmont Avenue
Grand Avenue
Wabash Avenue
Adisson Street

Many thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Irving Park= Take The A Train
Waveland Avenue= Green Dolphin Street
Belmont Avenue= Have You Met Miss Jones?
Grand Avenue= Out of Nowhere
Wabash Avenue= Body and Soul
Adisson Street= Alone Together

Don't forget, these tunes are "Standards" that often have a "standard key", but the way the book is set up, some of the tunes are printed in "Alto Key" and some in "Tenor Key"

Example: Irving Park/A Train is printed in "A", which is the key that an alto player would be in.

Wabash/Body&Soul is printed in "Eb" which is the key a tenor player would play in.

Check they keys on some records or in a fakebook to get the "standard" keys.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Duke and Bari, thanks very much.

The standards are very obvious and I think I should have known them. Perhaps the band did not play them in an obvious way as in abersold's?

Do you agree with me that this is one of the best resources for an intermediate player willing to move into playing the omnibook and some more advance stuff? My playing has improved dramatically playing this tunes. IMHO the main difference with this book when compared with other ones is that the etudes sound, feel and flow like the real thing. Not like bland choppy exercies. I frquently find myself listenig to the CD as if it was a normal commercial cd rather than study material.

Anyway, thanks again.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I really enjoy the etudes that Greg Fishman wrote. Sanchophone, you are right that these sound a lot more like actual solos than many other etude books. Greg's playing is also wonderful.

His instructional analysis at the beginning really gets at the heart of constructing be-bop lines. I like the way he suggests using his book as a primer for improvisation.

The tempos are pretty fast on some of the tunes and that really gets the fingers flying. One of my favorite books.

·
Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contri
3,583 Posts
Another shout out for the Greg Fishman books.

Helps to have a CD player with speed control to work you way up to (and beyond) the standard tempos.

My jazz style has matured greatly since I've started studying these books.

Be sure to check out the duets book, too. It's a lot of fun and presents an added dimension and challenge.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Does anyone know which standards vols. 2-4 correspond to?

·
Registered
678 Posts
Greg's books are great, I've used them in my teaching for ten years now and my students really enjoy them, especially adults who tell me that they 'don't usually like jazz'

Check out an interview I did with Greg here http://cambridgesaxophone.com/wp/lessons/greg-fishman/

The list I have for 2 and 3 below.

Jazz Phrasing for Saxophone - Volume 2

Castelewood Terrace - If I Had You
Garfield Boulevard - You'd Be So Nice to Come Home To
Dayton Street - Samba de Orpheus
Hyde Park Bvd - Confirmation
Pulaski Road - Blues
Orchard Street - My Little Boat
Fargo Avenue - These Foolish Things
School Street - Teach Me Tonight
Lexington Ave - Undecided
Edgewater Ave - Rhythm Changes

Jazz Phrasing for Saxophone - Volume 3

Pine Grove Ave - Star Eyes
Blackstone Ave - Black Orpheus
Isabella Ave - Emily
Newport Ave - Don't Get Around Much Anymore
Thornadale - minor blues
Austin Ave - rhythm changes
Orleans Street - Gentle Rain
Webster Street - I've Got the World on a String
Mulligan Street - My Funny Valentine (w/longer bridge)
Fremont Street - I Love You

·
Registered
1,719 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks Dan, for the list from the Jazz Phrasing books. That's will be very helpful! I was looking for a similar list for the Etudes books. Do you happen to have that list as well?

Len

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.