Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been out and about playing saxophone gigs since I was 16 years old. I've never actually pushed my name in any group. Maybe a 'featuring me' line added to the groups name. Today at age 53, I'm playing in the Tony Greene Trio. (I'm Tony Greene). Sort of exciting - hope I don't get fired. :)

I can say, I'm not a fan of weekly emails to musicians and the coordinator to make sure everything is set. I have this nightmare that I'll be the only one at the gig because I accidentally sent everyone the wrong date. :)

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
I call my organ trio “The Baconaters“ but my Thursday gig I book under my name because I have to use different players.
I juggle four or five organ players, a couple of bass players and three drummers for my trio gigs.
I have a moratorium on guitar players unless I have access to their volume. If you tell them to turn down they get a look on their face like you killed their puppy.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
8,947 Posts
Volume is a drug for guitar players (I play sax/flute/wind-synth, guitar/bass, and drums).

The guitar just responds better when it's turned up. I think it is the interaction with the amp.

Turning up the guitar is like those days when you have the best reed in the box on and it's playing almost effortlessly.

That said, I've played sax in too many guitar bands to let myself fall into that trap. I like repeat bookings, and for the age group I targeted, playing too loud is a good way to never get rebooked.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Follow-Up. The gig went great. I called the tunes, handled the money, convinced the wedding coordinator to keep us out of the grass, all very comfortable. At the end of the night an envelope appeared from the groom - an extra $150 tip. We only played an hour! Nice. Let’s do this again.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,657 Posts
Way to go. Gigs at retirement homes can easily be 75 per man for an hour, quartet. Ive run "ambiance" quartet for years. I had a duo Sonoma Soul for a few years. Its fun to be the boss but there is extra strains K

1 - 6 of 6 Posts