Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
My first time posting here- I am a guitar player and have always wanted to learn the saxophone- I work in a guitar shop and am therefore poor. I have read some of the other threads so I will spare you with the question of whats the best value for a decent saxe or best sax at the lowest price point (unless you want to answer it then feel free it will help my research).
What I will ask is thoughts on these:
https://reverb.com/item/67940-vintage-blessing-alto-saxophone-original-case-ready-to-play-as-is
or
https://reverb.com/item/74378-selmer-bundy-ii-alto-saxophone
Opinions are greatly appreciated!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,317 Posts
Save some money up and get a decent horn. A bad horn is like the plague. Tough to deal with and hard to get rid of.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
Do NOT buy a dented, banged-up saxophone. Who knows what else may be wrong with it?

Your best bet is to buy a used, good-quality intermediate-level sax (i.e., from a reliable brand) from a reputable dealer. You'll get a good horn that should play well without any further investment. It should even retain some value, since the major depreciation already will have occurred. You have no real need for a pro horn yet, new or used.

An alternative would be to buy a new but very inexpensive Asian-made horn from a dealer that will set it up for you, such as Kessler. Again, it should be playable immediately, and you'll have all the horn you need for a while. This horn won't hold much value, but that won't be a big deal because your initial investment will be relatively small.

·
Registered
931 Posts
If you are looking in that range, might I suggest you shop here on SOTW? There are several good and reputable dealers here I would trust; you can find them in the thread about good sellers with whom to deal, but off the top of my head JayePDX, saxcop, bruce bailey, raphyel who posted above, saintsday, the first few who come to mind, are better than gambling on eBay and you will KNOW what you're getting and what shape it's in. They are all very knowledgeable and are players who can advise. IMHO.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Is that permitted? Even with the draconian one-year, 100-post minimum rule? (Don't ask me; I don't work here.)
I believe that rule is only for selling privileges. Anyone can buy! :)

·
Registered
424 Posts
I'd probably budget around $500 for an alto and around $1000 for a tenor. That's inclusive of the horn and accessories. You could potentially find one for less, just depends what criteria is important. You can easily spend a lot more too. I'd look around locally if it was my first horn so that I can have someone close to help answer questions.

Ever consider a few months of renting and lessons just to make sure it is right for you?

Regarding the horns posted. That That Selmer Bundy has a terrible dent in the bell with a high potential of body damage from a hit like that.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Of the 2 I would choose the Blessing.......of the 2!
THAT Bundy is a is a POS!! Looks like the bell has AT LEAST a bent rim, but think it is no longer round.
Of course that does not mean i would endorse the Blessing.
As is usually the case a suggestion of trying as many saxes as possible is in order.
I would probably suggest a YAS-23 as a minimum horn at just slightly higher than these.

·
Registered
424 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello as you can tell im a drummer, always has loved the sax, recently started going to a jazz thing, they call up people to jam with them, in which i have had the oppertunity to, but the sax player that plays for
them i really enjoyed his playing, we talked a bit, so I would like to try it, now im a ear player, cant read, taught myself how to play the drums, but i would like to give it a shot, dont have much cash but the CC
so I was thinking about GC for the saxs, what do think, just looking for opinions, thanks for your help and time. Also im a 61 yr old who cant remember nothing, but still want to try it, thks again. This it what I
had in mind.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Etude-EAS-100-Student-Alto-Saxophone-106370919-i1412687.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Allora-...axophone-Model-AATS-301-108584111-i1513496.gc

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,289 Posts
drumwarrier: Welcome to SOTW. From my perspective (58 years of saxophone playing experience), I'd recommend that you settle on one type of saxophone first - alto, pitched in Eb vs. tenor pitched in Bb (or one of the other saxophones like soprano, C-Mel, baritone, bass, etc.).

Next, I probably wouldn't buy a saxophone from Guitar Center, but rather from an established retailer of band instruments . . . a store that has SOME expertise among the staff, the technical ability to set-up the instrument out of the box, and the ability to support your effort. Could GC provide that service to you? Not from what I've seen in one GC store.

Then, there is the ability to buy a great used instrument, either privately or from a retailer. You may pay more but buy a better instrument than the stuff shown on those two links. Can inexpensive saxophones play well enough for a beginner? Maybe, maybe not. And down the road, something like you linked may not be a good thing.

Do you know anyone who could help you make these decisions - point you in the right direction, help you assess a potential horn? I sure wouldn't spend ANY money by just going it alone with advice from a website. DAVE

1 - 12 of 12 Posts