Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be vacationing in Amsterdam in about a week, very excited as, in 60 years, I've never been to Europe!

Any recommendations for both sax shops and live music? We'll be staying in the canal district (on Kerkstraat I believe). Any music/sax-related suggestions would be most appreciated!!

Can't wait!

·
Registered
917 Posts
I'm going to be vacationing in Amsterdam in about a week, very excited as, in 60 years, I've never been to Europe!

Any recommendations for both sax shops and live music? We'll be staying in the canal district (on Kerkstraat I believe). Any music/sax-related suggestions would be most appreciated!!

Can't wait!
“We'll be staying in the canal district”

That phrase made me smile. It’s all the canal district. !!!! They are like a spiders web.

It is a fantastic city and you will love it. I cant help re sax shops or music, but hope you have a great time.

Try not to miss the Van Gogh museum. It’s a fantastic experience

And the Anne Frank museum is quite harrowing, but very moving place to visit also.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,002 Posts
It's a wonderful city - we were there last October and loved the place, the people, the sights but not really the cyclists !

Several threads here on SOTW that you should study.

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showt...d-jazz-clubs-I-should-see&highlight=Amsterdam

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showt...tions-Jazz-gigs-Sax-shops&highlight=Amsterdam

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showt...in-Amsterdam-this-weekend&highlight=amsterdam

And here's a thread I started over on the Café Saxophone Forum prior to my trip: https://cafesaxophone.com/threads/places-to-go-in-amsterdam.25007/

Good luck.

Rhys

·
14,268 Posts
Matthews Muziek in Edam (just north of Amsterdam). On our last visit there, we took a bus from the main train station. Easy enough. The store is kinda small but the greeting was large and my wife and I really enjoyed the visit. DAVE

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The apartment is in the southern part, near the museums.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,866 Posts
It's a wonderful city - we were there last October and loved the place, the people, the sights but not really the cyclists !
Most tourists coming to the city these days seem to think they're in Disneyland and just walk anywhere. Just stay on the sidewalk and you'll be fine.
For jazz just go to the Bimhuis.The big museums are great but can be crowded but there are many smaller ones that are also really good and less busy. FOAM, Huis Marseille and Van Loon are within walking distance of the Kerkstraat. Have fun.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
We visited last April and loved the city. Watch out for the cyclists. There are millions of them and they won't stop for you. Very different from the states.

·
1,243 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Blue Rose looks interesting. It's cool to see a new boutique-made sax that emulates vintage American horns (rather than Selmer Paris). Of course my tenor is a Martin Music Man and my alto is a Magna, so I may be somewhat biased :)

Thanks for including the older links; I saw them but even the most recent is seven years old, so not sure how relevant they were. Cafe Alto and Bimhuis seems like a good start for live music.

Anyone know if there are any clubs that feature newer, more contemporary stuff (jazz -i.e. not standards)?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,866 Posts
Almost all the stuff in the Bimhuis is contemporary. There is a lot of music of all types in various places like Splendor, De Ruimte and OCCI. If you're looking for fusion type music, there is not a lot of it around. Not very popular here I guess. There are plenty of jamsessions but a lot of online info is outdated. Café Engelbewaarder on Sundays is nice, and so is the Tuesday session at Bimhuis.

·
2,002 Posts
Thanks for including the older links; I saw them but even the most recent is seven years old, so not sure how relevant they were. Cafe Alto and Bimhuis seems like a good start for live music.
No problem. My thread that I linked to on the Cafe Saxophone forum was only last year so all of the information there should be current and it had suggestions from several NL-based contributors.

Rhys

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks so much for all the info everyone. I'm quite looking forward to this!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts