Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm a high school player who plays alto. Family have asked what I want for Christmas, and i figured why not ask for a soprano. I just want something to play for fun that I can blow on when I'm bored.
All I really need in the horn is it to be able to not be so bad that it's impossible to be good on. As long as it's relatively in tune and pads close etc, I'm fine.

I've been looking at the Allora Vienna curved soprano(since the straight is out of stock) since it seems to fit my needs. Any opinions or suggestions?

Thanks guys

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist TSGT(Ret)USAF
1,395 Posts
these are not bad, but If i was you, I would get a name brand Yamaha 475 or a 62 soprano....Yamaha is a fantastic company,and their quality is first class...The sax will go up in value, not down....you'll need a good quality hard rubber mouthpiece . I recommend an Otto Link 6 or 6* for soprano...
Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,381 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Yamaha is fantastic. If the Allora (which is the house brand of WWBW) better fits your budget, look instead at Kessler. Kessler's house brand horns (which are also made by Tenon) are better configured.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Fellow high school alto player here, I'm lucky enough to go to a school that owns a Yamaha 475 that my band director lets me treat like my own. I have nothing but great things to say about the horn, especially considering the price. If it's in your price range, definitely go for it, you won't regret it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yamaha is fantastic. If the Allora (which is the house brand of WWBW) better fits your budget, look instead at Kessler. Kessler's house brand horns (which are also made by Tenon) are better configured.
Thanks for the suggestion. Which Kessler model would you recommend? Also, straight or curved for my needs?

Thanks everyone for the responses!

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion. Which Kessler model would you recommend? Also, straight or curved for my needs?

Thanks everyone for the responses!
I would try to compare straight and curved sopranos in a brand and see which you prefer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Christian,
I've only played straight sops and doubt I'll get the chance to try a curved soprano any time soon. Should I just get a straight to be safe?

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Christian,
I've only played straight sops and doubt I'll get the chance to try a curved soprano any time soon. Should I just get a straight to be safe?
If you're happy with the way that they're playing, then yes. Neither are better or worse- assuming you get a decently playing soprano, it'll be good. Curved or straight will just have somewhat different sounds.

·
Registered
424 Posts
"Thanks for the suggestion. Which Kessler model would you recommend? Also, straight or curved for my needs?"

My opinion, but the best from Kessler is the "Handmade" series. It comes in a straight one piece or a version with interchangeable necks (I own this model). I also own the curved and it's a good horn, but I think the Handmade series is stronger quality. Handmade body comes in a higher copper ratio, which makes the sound a little warmer.

Lots of views on this, but there is little sound difference between a curved and straight soprano...except that the player can obviously hear what he or she is projecting more closely.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,892 Posts
I would always go for Yamaha. The quality is unquestionable and they hold their value very well. Also, any tech can fix them, which is not necessarily true for a horn like a Kessler. Kessler horns are fine, but to suggest they are even in the ball park of a YSS-475 is ridiculous.

That being said, a NEW YSS-475 is going to be around $2500 and the Kessler Handmade is half of that. (And the Performance series is 1/4) If it's a gift, the giver might be better off getting the Kessler because they can talk to Dave (and co.) and get the right one for your needs if the bigger price tag is out of the question.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Kessler horns are fine, but to suggest they are even in the ball park of a YSS-475 is ridiculous.
Really? Have you played one? I agree that Yamahas are fine instruments but some of the Taiwanese horns are first-rate. My Antigua 590 is a very good saxophone.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts