Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi horn blowers, I'm wanting to try my first sop. Never played sop before. I'm gonna go to sax.co.uk in London to try the curved Bauhaus.
Pressures on as the Take It Away (free credit) scheme folds next month for folks over 25.
My tenor m/p set-up is Otto Link Tone Edge 7* with Vandoren ZZ 2's.
Do I just duplicate on sop, or is it more complex than that to get an equivalent feel/response? I can already hear the loud: "Yes it is WAY more complex!!!!" :)

And do I want the sop to be like my tenor sound anyhow? [rolleyes]

My sound concept for tenor is kinda smokey/vintage. Not sure what to try for on Bauhaus sop, though i hear they tend toward a vintage feel.

When I moved from alto to tenor, I stuck with the same type/strength reed but went from Jody Jazz to Otto Link. Changing reed kinda blows my mind just coz of the infinite possibilities with new m/pieces.

I guess I need to know some good starter pieces so I don't come away with something extreme that I can't live with long-term.

Hopefully the guys in the store will be used to virgins, but would be good to get some input here first.

Cheers for your thoughts,
Mark

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Otto Link Tone Edge 7* is a perfect mouthpiece for soprano! (I play an 8.) You will be more successful if you take more mouthpiece in your mouth than you think appropriate...

The store will probably steer you toward a Selmer piece - that's OK, but try a bunch because they are inconsistent. Same goes for the Link... I would recommend an F opening, perhaps an E, perhaps a G for the Selmer. Choice may be limited on those openings, especially the G.

Other possibilities are BARI and Meyer.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,086 Posts
I have been playing soprano for 49 years and have had mostly Selmers and Links but a few years ago I tried a Yamaha cheapie and it is great. I use a 4C or 5C (not a custom). Worth owning as they speak well in all registers and if it is your first soprano it will make it easy to adapt and later try the expensive ones.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I play a Yamaha 5C and 6C with Rico Royal #2 reeds on my soprano. It might be worthwhile to start with something simple and basic like that until you get your soprano chops. I'm quite pleased with the sound.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many many thanks for all your responses! :) I will make a list of all the suggested pieces and also try taking more m/p into my mouth. Now feeling equipped to step into the store. Fingers crossed :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,001 Posts
I use a ZZ 2 reed on my sop. I recommend a Yamaha 4C or 5C for your first sop mpc. It is kind of silly to try the "same" set up as tenor. The sop does not sound anything like the tenor. Yes, the Otto Link may be a good piece but not that far open until you get your sop chops. By then you will have your own concept of what you want to sound like on sop. I find that reed works very well on sop, even with a moderately closed piece. Now I normally play the Yamaha 5C. I started with a 4C 5 years ago.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I thought it was silly to use a plastic mass production mpc like Yamaha 4C when I first saw people recommending it. It was until recently I went to a music store to try out bunch of Vandorens, Otto Links and Yamaha 6C. The 6C WON. Solid intonation, even tone and good response, and significantly cheaper.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,086 Posts
Another good point of the Yamaha soprano mouthpieces is that they are very forgiving of unresponsive horns. Makes anything playable.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,408 Posts
Yes indeed, Yamaha have really got it right with with the plastic soprano m/p's. Tom is right about treating the sop as an individual voice and not trying to emulate a tenor--this is where many people go wrong. Try the 4c,5c,6c I like a stiffish reed V16 3 or Hemke3 this prevents the pitch from "floating around" too much above the 'break'

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
631 Posts
stumbled upon the selmer paris (metal) D soprano mpc and did not look back for 10 years. I am currently using a Rovner Mk III ligature.
my soprano is a Selmer Paris Series II straight sop.

·
Non Resident SOTW Eccentric & 2012 Forum Contribut
3,259 Posts
When it comes to soprano mpcs always worth checking out soprano planet. The are small and very critical of what might be minor details for larger saxes. Joe G is always straightforward and a good guy to deal with

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Definitely start with a yamaha 4c or 5c or a yani 5hr.

It'll take you a while to build up to using a link te 7 or 7*.

long tones, long tones and more long tones

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
866 Posts
Try a Bari HR piece: .050 - .060 or around there. Very good piece for the price.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,233 Posts
well, waiting long enough, of course you will end up with a list of all the mouthpieces in the world since they all have their aficionados.
The Yamaha is difficult to beat at that price so, you can't go wrong with it. Unfortunately I have had very bad experiences with the Bari mouthpieces (I too was attracted by the price) finding that all the ones that were available at the shop had facings visibly irregular! Maybe I was unlucky.

If you feel a bit more adventurous and want to spend a few quids more, try a Selmer Super Session (I use an F) or a Francois Louis (I liked the one without the sphere chamber) The Bauhaus Walstein curved soprano is my baby and I love it to bits.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Turned out I preferred the Trevor James Rev II over the Bauhaus, using a selmer session mouthpiece. Didn't buy though, wasn't wowed. And sop seems pretty tough going on the ear! :) Didn't like straight mauriat either.
So guessing I'm not a sop player - shame, I like the portability. Definitely got heaps more respect for Gabarek and the like!!!!!!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Well, the Trevor James Revolution II is a far better sax than a Bauhaus, so no wonder you favoured it!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts