1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,589 Posts
I would guess that it would probably need an overhaul, as most of these sub-$200 vintage saxes from antique dealers do.

·
Registered
354 Posts
You got a good one, even if it needs some work [and as long as you're not worried about making a buck on it when/if you sell it]. A nice solid horn from the end of Bueschers run, and a great horn for a starter.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
Oh yeah.

That was not a bad price. This horn is right on the edge of the Selmer buy-out. It should be a very good first sax. I too believe it may need a few pads. Take it to a good reputable shop and get them to get it going for you. If you're lucky, it may only need a pad or two. And more importantly, the shop can do a simple student-level regulation. And get the tech to check out the mouthpiece too for playability. You might end up with a very nice playing starter sax.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses. I've gotten some pretty good deals on trumpets on ebay but know nothing about a sax yet. My local store has two very good techs who's done some trumpet work for me, so if it needs anything I trust them to do a great job.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
I have one of these that I got off of ebay for $215 in a Protec case with a Vandoren mouthpiece. Played top to bottom when it arrived! (YMMV). About 10,000 (S/N) lower than yours. I love it! The guy had it listed with a Van Huesen mouthpiece!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,000 Posts
You got a good one, even if it needs some work [and as long as you're not worried about making a buck on it when/if you sell it]. A nice solid horn from the end of Bueschers run, and a great horn for a starter.
I agree. It will very likely need some work...and sax work tends to run a lot more $ than trumpet work...but even if you invest $200-300 of tech work into it...it is still a worthy investment as one of these in decent playing and physical shape is worth about $500.

If you have or know of a good instrument tech, take it to him/her and right off the bat, just tell 'em you want to get it into decent playing shape so you won't have to fight it. A lot of techs will push $700-1000 "overhauls" on instruments when in fact the horn only needs a few hours of work.

These Aristos at or around the 400,XXX serial range...were some of the last of the "good ones", really.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,183 Posts
Would love to get some feedback on this horn. From the serial number it appears to have been made in 1963. Did I get a good one?
I guess I get to play spoiler here.

Although there are certainly Bueschers from this era that are good instruments, a standard Aristocrat is not worth putting much money into unless want to marry it. If your tech tells you that you need to spend much more than 100 to get this in good playing condition, put it back on eBay. You have 153 in the saxophone now. For 250 there are several of us here than can sell you a saxophone that has already been play conditioned. If you are lucky, your tech may tell you 50 or 60 bucks and then you definitely have a keeper. I hope you are lucky.

·
5,183 Posts
And welcome to SOTW.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess I get to play spoiler here.

Although there are certainly Bueschers from this era that are good instruments, a standard Aristocrat is not worth putting much money into unless want to marry it. If your tech tells you that you need to spend much more than 100 to get this in good playing condition, put it back on eBay. You have 153 in the saxophone now. For 250 there are several of us here than can sell you a saxophone that has already been play conditioned. If you are lucky, your tech may tell you 50 or 60 bucks and then you definitely have a keeper. I hope you are lucky.
I hope it dosen't cost much to get in playing condition, but for what I'll be using it for I doubt I'll ever need another sax. Like I said I plan on learning just for fun.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,885 Posts
I hope it dosen't cost much to get in playing condition, but for what I'll be using it for I doubt I'll ever need another sax. Like I said I plan on learning just for fun.
yes, those were the famous last words for many of us.......... and many years after one ends up with a room full of cases full of horns........ it's dangerous! Don't go there! :bluewink:

·
Registered
197 Posts
i have the same version aristocrat but 20k lower on the serial #. i paid $100 but needed a repad and cleaning, which i did myself. it's now my main sax and like it better than my expensive sax. it has a wonderful tone with a nice balance of dark/brightness to my ears. the action can be improved, but it was never meant to be a top horn; i'm fine with it. the nominal value is low but it's worth more. i don't expect it to go up in price but it's certainly valuable for my musical education and enjoyment. if you plan to flip it then it's not worth it, otherwise i think you'll really enjoy playing it.

·
5,183 Posts
Vintage horns suck!

* ducks and runs *
Sure they do. They are only for old farts who are nostalgic and don't know any better. :mrgreen::mrgreen: This one from 1933 outplays any modern horn I've tried.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts