Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 55 and definitely a late bloomer, although I played clarinet in grade school, and played alto a little in my late teens. I recently bought a tenor sax and have been working at learning to play it. My main axe at this point is guitar, which I've been playing off and on since I was 17.

I decided to bring my tenor to our praise & worship team's rehearsal last night, instead of my usual electric guitar. I'm not in the rotation for this week's services, so it was pretty safe to do so.

Needless to say, it raised a few eyebrows when instead off strapping on my ususl red & black guitar and firing up my amp, I slipped on my sparkly brass tenor sax. During rehearsal I hung out in the back of the hall, away from the band. I really just wanted to gauge how much more work I need to do before I feel comfortable enough to stand in with the team on tenor.

I've only been playing a couple of months, and have a somewhat faulty embouchure (it's slowly strengthening and getting better) due to a bout with Bells Palsy a year or so ago, and I was a little apprehensive, but it was loads of fun, and I got a few compliments too. I still have some work to do before I can become part of the horn section (which right now is one trombone, and soon an alto), but it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

I'll definitely start bringing my sax more regularly to our Thursday night rehearsals. I feel blessed that I have a great band waiting for me when I feel I'm ready to start performing. In the mean time, I still get to bring the RAWK a couple times a month with my guitar. :D

It was a great night :)

·
Registered
268 Posts
That's probably great motivation to keep practicing. Good work! :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts