Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Selmer USA AS110, Jean Paul TS400
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The sax has been a long journey for me. When I was a kid I just read what was on the page and produced it as best I could, but today, so many years later, that all changed. Today I did my first real improv, jazzing up a tune! I'm so excited! I actually did something that sounded good! It was a real step for me that gave me new inspiration and made it a joy to practice.

The work is worth it. I hope you find your bliss too!

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
4,828 Posts
Excellent work!

that’s the best way to start. You know what music sounds like...just pick tunes you love, play the melody, then noodle around it and see what feels good. Keep it up! All kinds of resources and of course lessons if or when you’re interested in getting a little deeper, or even figuring out what you’re doing when you stumble upon something cool.

I’d recommend recording yourself every so often. Nothing special, simple is really almost better. Just hit record and listen to it a few days later. Be nice, but critique yourself a bit. It’ll help you get better just listening and picking things out. Not mistakes or bad stuff, that’s bound to happen; mostly when you have bad rhythm. Great rhythm and good energy is the most important thing. Have fun!

·
Registered
Selmer USA AS110, Jean Paul TS400
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I really appreciate the encouragement! Great idea on recording myself. Looks like I'll be searching the gear section soon!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,625 Posts
Congratulions. I can only agree with everything said. I was lucky to start like this as a teenager, and have been doing it until now (63 in 2 weeks).

Reactions: JeyJey
1 - 5 of 5 Posts