Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I gave in to temptation yesterday. I bought my first mouthpiece in 4 years - not bad considering I play all 4 horns.

I took a chance on a Morgan Fry Vintage Slant for tenor. I've been eyeing these for a while and one came up on Ebay. Can't wait for it to arrive!

(Though I do wonder if this is the beginning of a new round of mouthpiece GAS...)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,401 Posts
And, you may as well know right now that IT NEVER ENDS! I'm carrying in my baritone case a spare neck and mouthpiece (current mouthpiece needs larger cork so I can't switch back and forth on the same neck) so I can whip it out at break time and play the other set-up to see which one I'm going to use. The two set-ups do require different reeds and ligatures so there is some duplication, but this is the first time I've done such an involved process on a mouthpiece change, and the two mouthpieces are totally different designs.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,798 Posts
actually I have found my definitive mouthpiece for my tenor at some stage 6 years ago, I think and, short of dropping it or losing it, am not planning to ever look anywhere else.

I think that chasing mouthpieces is not a conditio sine qua non, some do that some don’t.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,401 Posts
Never say never - things change. I've been stable on tenor, alto and soprano for a long time (5 yrs sop, 30 yrs alto and 20 yrs ten) but am still searching on the new baritone I got in 2015. Every mouthpiece I've tried on it played fine but I'm always thinking there's something else I want out of it. A lot of this I'm finding out is really reed selection. My reed selection on bari is limited to synthetics or Plasticovers because the horn sits about 60% of the time. Trying lots of different synthetics or even Plasticovers gets expensive, especially when you throw different mouthpieces into the mix. The two I'm working with now are radically different - a 1975 Brilhart Level Air 9* that is really good, and a new Brancher L29 hard rubber that is great in different ways. I have to play both on the same gig several times before making a decision. Typically on the other saxes, I will try a mouthpiece at home, then on the job. In most cases the decision is obvious right away, and you can tell by my long use of alto and tenor mouthpieces that nothing has come close to beating those two. The baritone is different - you're looking for certain very distinct attributes that may be hard to find in one mouthpiece.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I've had the new to me Morgan Fry Vintage Slant for 2 weeks now and I'm just loving it. Let's see how long this lasts. For now, I'm really happy I made this purchase.

·
Premium Member
15,477 Posts
Morgan is a friend of mine and a great mouthpiece maker. I’m glad you are having fun with that.
Enjoy!!!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,354 Posts
Well I've had the new to me Morgan Fry Vintage Slant for 2 weeks now and I'm just loving it. Let's see how long this lasts. For now, I'm really happy I made this purchase.
Nice!

I'm coming up on 3 years with the same set up. The best part about it is the more you stay with one set up the better it sounds on a daily basis.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
I have been playing the same tenor piece for three years now. During these years I have tried and bought lots of pieces just out of curiosity to see what’s available and if it can rival my no 1.

·
Administrator
17,256 Posts
Congrats and I hope you will enjoy it for a very long time.

I'm on my current tenor main mouthpiece for almost 9 years now (an Otto Link Florida no USA 10*, before that I used for about 20 years an 8* metal Early Babbitt. I have a big tenor mouthpiece collection with different designs and like to check many different builds in private, but for outdoors playing I almost always use my main mouthpiece. Also didn't buy anything new for some years now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts