Sax on the Web Forum banner
61 - 80 of 104 Posts

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
I really appreciate you guys' info on these different brand synths..my experience is typical, but I started my transition to full time synths several years ago. I have started to play past the reed and can be virtually as expressive as ever on a synth. Also it has taken awhile to dial reed brand type and strength to my different primary mpcs. I got probably $300+ in Fibra/Legere tenor reeds just to know the best reed options for my 2 working tenor 'pieces.

Now I want to try a "Carbon" next.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
8,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
After gigging with the Carbon last night in an outdoor setting it did what I wanted it to do. Whenever I picked it up it was ready to play, no warps, no squeaks, no fussing.

But I sure miss the complex overtones of cane.

I'll gig with it a while, then put cane back on, and see if it gives me the wow factor like it did after a couple of weeks on the Legere. If the cane says "WOW!" then I'll go back to cane, if it just says "Nice" I'll stay with the syn-reed.

Whether the compromise is worth it to me or not, I've yet to decide.

Insights and incites by Notes

PS for those of you who love them, remember, there is more than one right way to make music, and what is best for me, may not be best for you.

·
Registered
196 Posts
After gigging with the Carbon last night in an outdoor setting it did what I wanted it to do. Whenever I picked it up it was ready to play, no warps, no squeaks, no fussing.

But I sure miss the complex overtones of cane.

I'll gig with it a while, then put cane back on, and see if it gives me the wow factor like it did after a couple of weeks on the Legere. If the cane says "WOW!" then I'll go back to cane, if it just says "Nice" I'll stay with the syn-reed.

Whether the compromise is worth it to me or not, I've yet to decide.

PS for those of you who love them, remember, there is more than one right way to make music, and what is best for me, may not be best for you.
I also just got a carbon classic... about an hour ago it came in the mail. I prefer the cane but having both a synthetic and cane reed on hand is the way to go for me. I guess your assessment is a good one... that the cane has more complex overtones. If you are playing for your own enjoyment than use what sounds best to your ear. I am going to try an experiment and record myself to see if I can hear the difference between the cane and synth. The sound the player hears is not what the listeners hears.

·
8,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
<...snip...>The sound the player hears is not what the listeners hears.
Which is why I did two things:

1) Play facing a solid wood wall to hear the reflection of sound coming back at me

2) Used my duo partner who has heard me play since 1985 as a second set of ears.

I really with the tone was closer to cane. I gigged with it last night and still yearned for my cane tone.

Like I said, I'll play it a while until I get used to it, perhaps a month or two, and then put the cane back on and see if the difference still goes WOW!.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Which is why I did two things:

1) Play facing a solid wood wall to hear the reflection of sound coming back at me

2) Used my duo partner who has heard me play since 1985 as a second set of ears.

I really with the tone was closer to cane. I gigged with it last night and still yearned for my cane tone.

Like I said, I'll play it a while until I get used to it, perhaps a month or two, and then put the cane back on and see if the difference still goes WOW!.

I like your your approach. I have found that when all I play is the synthetic reed for a time when I go back to cane I am always impressed with how much better cane sounds and feels to me.

·
8,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
I like your your approach. I have found that when all I play is the synthetic reed for a time when I go back to cane I am always impressed with how much better cane sounds and feels to me.
I suppose some would like the tone of the syn-reed better. After all, it is a matter of personal taste. I'm going to keep an open mind, and see what happens. After decades of gigging with the cane reed, I expect there will be an adjustment.

Notes

·
8,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
You won't know if it's right for you or not if you don't give it a try.

Notes

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
OK I don't think my tone comes from the reed anymore. I tried a couple of my old canes the other day and quickly missed the thick Legere sound. Oh well.

Now Notes don't throw them out, it takes awhile. Go Zen and think Cane no matter whaat..Cheers man

·
8,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
I'll give 'em a fair trial and try my best not to be biased.

Notes

·
Registered
525 Posts
I've tried a variety of synthetic reeds in the past. Altissimo doesn't work for me very well with them, especially above high C -- usually I can easily go up to an F above that, can squeeze out A's on a good night. No idea why that may be. Maybe just what I'm used to, I've played Java green box 3 1/2's for many years.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,892 Posts
I've tried a variety of synthetic reeds in the past. Altissimo doesn't work for me very well with them, especially above high C -- usually I can easily go up to an F above that, can squeeze out A's on a good night. No idea why that may be. Maybe just what I'm used to, I've played Java green box 3 1/2's for many years.
I have a related problem. High altissimo comes out easily, but the lower ones (G3-Bb4) are tougher. You have to relearn your voicings, and it's really tough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
8,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 · (Edited)
I had slight low problems with the fibrecane, not with the carbon. I suppose it depends on the mouthpiece and sax design.

Notes

·
Registered
55 Posts
I never thought that I would like the synthetic reeds as much as I do. Tried the Legere Signature on tenor a few weeks ago ... what can I say ... I absolutely love them!
I play them on an STM 7* and they brighten up the sound quite a bit (which is good for the STM). The response and attack are both unmatched.
I have a feeling that I will not miss my cane reeds.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I never thought that I would like the synthetic reeds as much as I do. Tried the Legere Signature on tenor a few weeks ago ... what can I say ... I absolutely love them!
I play them on an STM 7* and they brighten up the sound quite a bit (which is good for the STM). The response and attack are both unmatched.
I have a feeling that I will not miss my cane reeds.
I have tried three kinds of the Hartmann Fiberreeds. I am currently using the carbon classic. It is my favorite so far. I also play with a Link 7*. I do find that when I go back to a cane reed that they seem to have something the synthetic lacks. I keep them both on hand.

·
8,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
So far, I like the tone of the Cane reed better, and the consistency of the Carbon better. I haven't played the cane in a while, I'll see if I when I switch back after getting used to the new sound, if I still feel the same way.

But the sound is based on the music that I play to make my living with. I mostly play rock, blues and pop, because that is what puts bread on the table and gas in the tank. Around here, jazzers work one day a week for drinks and tips, and I have no intention of having a day job to support a jazz habit. I think the syn-reed tone is more suitable for 'smooth jazz' than it is for rock, blues and pop.

·
Registered
196 Posts
So far, I like the tone of the Cane reed better, and the consistency of the Carbon better. I haven't played the cane in a while, I'll see if I when I switch back after getting used to the new sound, if I still feel the same way.

But the sound is based on the music that I play to make my living with. I mostly play rock, blues and pop, because that is what puts bread on the table and gas in the tank. Around here, jazzers work one day a week for drinks and tips, and I have no intention of having a day job to support a jazz habit. I think the syn-reed tone is more suitable for 'smooth jazz' than it is for rock, blues and pop.

I wonder what your sound, sounds like to the listener. I asked a good tenor player what sort of reed he plays. I was surprised to hear it was a synthetic reed. When I first play a synth. reed after having used cane for awhile it sounds like plastic vibrating. After awhile I don't hear that any more, but when I go back to cane it sounds better. I think I'll just stick to the synthetic. It's a lot cheaper in the long run and less hassle. Works for me anyway.

61 - 80 of 104 Posts