Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
Question, The first generation hard rubber TM EB Otto Link, is there something about it that proves that it is what it is? People are asking like 600+ for these now because they are no longer made but I am not sure how to tell them apart from other modern Links. I did own two but can't remember if there was something different about them to tell them apart in the engraving or something like that. I know the baffle shape is a sign but I was looking for something more substantial........

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Mine are vastly Different externally from a modern link Steve.
But when you say first generation, do you mean the ones that still had Otto Link stamped on the top of the barrel or does your quest drill deeper than that?
Mine have Otto Link on them and the beak is steep like the Early Babbits with much more baffle than the modern ones but I understand that some did not have the steep profile so there are 2 batch types for a start.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Shank is extra long. Beak drop is very steep, like a slant. those are the 2 most external discernible features. They truly look almost like a real early EB. Also, the chainlink on the top around the mouthpiece doesn't line up on them from one side of the table to the other.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Not the truest photo out there but look carefully along with my description....
Far left is an Early Babbitt with a Steep beak but the angle of the photo is disguising that a bit.
Next Up is a modern Tone Edge
Then 3rd from left is the NVS
Then on the right is the Tenor Madness blank which looks steep side on. A very similar profile to the Early Babbit on the left but as mentioned the angle is off in the photo.
But see also how short the body is??

View attachment 233450

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not the truest photo out there but look carefully along with my description....
Far left is an Early Babbitt with a Steep beak but the angle of the photo is disguising that a bit.
Next Up is a modern Tone Edge
Then 3rd from left is the NVS
Then on the right is the Tenor Madness blank which looks steep side on. A very similar profile to the Early Babbit on the left but as mentioned the angle is off in the photo.

View attachment 233450
Thanks! Yes, that shank is noticeably longer than the rest. That answers my question. Thanks everyone!

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
See pictures below and I'll label differences. Both are size 8 links.

pic 1) TM EB is much skinnier, even though the pieces are the same length, the shank is much longer on the TM EB

pic 2) The beak drop is drastically different. The TM EB almost "hangs over" it has such a steep drop, just like the vintage slants.

pic 3) this is the TM EB and the chain doesn't line up on each side of the window / table

pic 4) this is the current production and the chain lines up much better.

View attachment 233464 View attachment 233466 View attachment 233468

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I had one when they first came out. I also have an actual EB. I'll say that the chamber might be the same but the baffle and facings are a little different. I found most of the TMEB to be brittle-sounding by comparison. The shank was also longer than the real EB. Was it better than a stock link? Absolutely. Did I compete with an actual EB with the baffle/rails/chamber alignment? No. The EB pieces that I've tried have all had a nice balane and punch to the sound. The TMEB lacked bottom and mids in that first round. I haven't tried any since. However, I'd be curious to try the latest version.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,988 Posts
"Early Babbitt" defines a period in which JJ Babbitt produced mouthpiece with certain specs.

There are at least three mouthpiece you can call "Early Babbitt", but they were (at least) externally different.

The TMEB just needed a nice refacing like every other modern JJ Babbitt... but it might sounded as good as any genuine EB (... EB, not an 80's Tone Edge).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts