Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,647 Posts
The Galas I've played were all long but never continuous blowing. They were intermixed with various activities by the attendees.

What was always difficult for me is that I had previously been pretty much used to time=$. If I was contracted to start at 9:00pm and end at 01:00am for X$ that's what you, the client signed up for - and got. If you wanted to squander half of my contracted music-time fine, you were still going to get music from 09:00 - 01:00 - or not.

At most of the gigs I played in Germany (excluding concerts), what they really meant when they said four hours of music was just that - four hours of music from you sometime between the starting and closing of the evening's event. Used to really p*ss me off. Add getting at the sire early enough to set up and get a good souind check and you're looking at a very long evening, for only four hours of "agreed upon" music time.

One band I was in, the clients kept adding, or reprising things in the program and time slid so far into the night that the bone and trumpet player (three-horn band) just up and left.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,878 Posts
The Galas I've played were all long but never continuous blowing. They were intermixed with various activities by the attendees.
So the OP is not talking about 7 continuous hours of playing! Or 7 hours with only short breaks. That would be brutal. I have played a couple of 6 hour gigs, with only 15 min breaks between sets, in a 4 piece band. So I was playing most of that time. I wouldn't do that again unless the money was very, very good.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
did that last night!! its called the lange nacht der musik it was 6 sets 45 on 15 off i played 75% trumpet and 25% soprano was a cuban quartet

lange nacht is coming up in munich and I have 3 gigs ........1st for 1 1/2 hours playing sax with a pianist 2nd 1 1/2 hours leading a duo(same venue ,so thats cool) then i go to another club and play 4 hours lead trumpet with a salsa band.leader is nervous that his trumpet player wont have the chops to do the whole 8 hour gig....he's right!!! funniest thing is the 4 hour salsa gig only pays 50 bucks!!!!

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
did that last night!! its called the lange nacht der musik it was 6 sets 45 on 15 off i played 75% trumpet and 25% soprano was a cuban quartet

lange nacht is coming up in munich and I have 3 gigs ...
Where are you playing? I´m also playing the "lange nacht" for a couple years now. This years I´m playing with my big band again at the "cats corner". It´s a swing dance club and lot´s of fun because everybody is dancing to our music. But it´s a long gig. 5 sets from 8 pm to 3 am.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
hey, i'm at ludwigs until 12 and then somewhere else(don't know yet) never heard of cats corner!!! if you ever need a trombone,trumpet,bari sax...etc... :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I used to play with a few groups in Germany when I was stationed there about 11 years ago. I was up in the Mainz-Wiesbaden area. I really miss playing all the beer and wine fests, nothing in America has come close to comparing to the atmosphere and audience appreciation.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
actually even on my small friday night gig,where I had 15 people in the restaurant you can notice a difference in appreciation

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
...got some updates

took my tenor on a salsa gig with Connexion Latina they've downsized the horns to 2 trumpets so the sax added some color.....played a pretty good solo on Little Sunflower

..had a gig with a DJ and singer last week.sheasked me to bring some play along tracks for a few tunes
i was lucky to find my club mix aebersold disc.....chose a latin blues from the Paquito volume(made up a head) and run for cover -sanborn(it was a party afterall)
I usually keep my solos short and sweet on a gig...this was the first time playing 10 choruses,i was playing full intensity(it was a party afterall)and was very happy that I could keep up an interesting solo for that long...easiest gig ever ...2 30 minute sets 400 euros

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Saturday came the mother of all gigs!!! the flossfahrt on the Isar river..... noone will believe this until i make a video...next time......
70 people on a barge put together of logs 30 feet long and 15 feet wide beer kegs,food,and a band with a full sound system powered by car batteries.
i was a bit nervous as the gig was for sax and i knew there would be a bit of traditional(polkas,walzes)stuff...so i took my trumpet too....luckily I was a sub of a sub of a sub and the band was really nice people. they dug my trumpet playing on the polkas,so that worked out....the rest of the gig was @#$ cold in the rain with a tarp over us.....a sax is a lot colder outside than a trumpet!!! damn!! the instrumentation was Accordion,bass,drums and sax so i basically had the lead guitar role and the rock stuff was mostly blues orientated.... did i mention the gig is 7 hours??!!! so it all seems overwhelming enough when a few hours in they say ,okay time for the slide!! really!!....its like white water rafting....and the water comes up through the floor up to your knees.......well this happens 7 times throughout the trip!!!!! i told the guy in the beginning that i dont play on the slides.....coming up to each slide what happens??? they give me a solo!!!! i used a large amount of space in my solo!!!!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2010-
369 Posts
did i mention the gig is 7 hours??!!! so it all seems overwhelming enough when a few hours in they say ,okay time for the slide!! really!!....its like white water rafting....and the water comes up through the floor up to your knees.......well this happens 7 times throughout the trip!!!!! i told the guy in the beginning that i dont play on the slides.....coming up to each slide what happens??? they give me a solo!!!! i used a large amount of space in my solo!!!!!
Whew Omar!...... and I thought Leonards of Great Neck was rough, or the time Zippy the Chimp nearly ran me over on his unicycle.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts