Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to go to college and I thought I would pick up a flute to start getting my doubling together. My dad told me he would get me one for my birthday for under $500. Trouble is I don't know anything about flutes. What would be a good one in this price range?

·
Distinguished SOTW Tech/Forum Contributor 2007
983 Posts
one that does not leak... a well set up student yamaha would be good. bruce baily on the forum usually has well priced flutes that are set up well. i'd suggest you email him.

·
3,003 Posts
you cannot go wrong with a yamaha 211.
Play it until you wear it out.
By that time you may be ready for another flute, by which stage you might realise that the flute makes less difference than you think now.

·
Distinguished SOTW Tech/Forum Contributor 2007
983 Posts
be careful buying one too cheap, have some one test it to make sure it does not leak...

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
Student Yamaha. There are a heap of threads on the same topic.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
1,530 Posts
I bought a flute from Trice earleir & it was great, he was a good person to deal with. I would check out his flutes as well.......

·
4,544 Posts
I have a 225S that I can provide with a fitted head from a 400 series for less than $500. This was my personal combination for many years. I still use a 211 with an EC head for backup and 'rough' situations.

You can see the ad HERE

·
Registered
110 Posts
Your dad would have given you up to $500 for a flute... and you chose an el-cheap-o "new" Chinese flute for $130?

Something doesn't make sense there!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts