Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

This is my first post as a newly minted SOW member.

I am a saxophone player in Cincinnati who loves to play jazz and classical. I am much better at the former but enjoy the physical challenge of working up music where I HAVE to play the black dots (and rests) on the page and the discovery of music from another world other than jazz.

My question is what are some of the first pieces a 1st or 2nd year college player should study that contain altissimo notes? Of course this question is relative depending on the level of an incoming student. So let's say for a student of good playing ability and dedication but has not studied altissimo - not a phenom who pured the final movement of Bolcom's "Lilith" on his freshman audition.

Best to all and thanks in advance for any responses,

Gawain

· Super Moderator
27,048 Posts
Walter hartley-Duo
Benson-Aeolian Song
Creston-Sonata
Glazunov-Concerto

That should keep you busy. :)

· Registered
126 Posts
I second the Benson Aeolian Song!

You might also look into Muczynski's Sonata, Op. 29 which features great melodic altissimo that is more intensive than Creston, Glazounov, Heiden, etc. As an undergraduate, I worked on the second movement of Dahl's Concerto as an altissimo etude as well.

I also recommend playing familiar songs 8va ala Rosemary Lang's altissimo book. Try playing slow Ferling etudes or jazz ballads up an octave to reinforce the accurate relative pitch that is imperative to altissimo success.

Best of luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.