Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah for me:D

I've been working on my overtone sequences pretty religiously for about four or five months (and a little less religiously on those trombone slide mouthpiece only things) and it has really paid off: for the first time I feel like I'm getting a legit altissimo sound from my tenor at F#, and also with the alternative fingering for E.

The big question now is, what next? I've been reading up, and it seems like the logical next note--i.e G--is actually one of the hardest :?

What's the best choice for next altissimo note?

Rory

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
Naw, not G---try A first. lh 23/ rh 123.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Hell go chromatically! Hit that G, the G#, then A! Just keep it rolling on up man, keep it up. This is also just my opinion and I'm probably wrong (my altissimo sucks).

Good luck with it :D

·
Banned
327 Posts
For altissimo, you have to make sure that you have a mouthpiece that compliments your embouchure, and of course reed strength that allows the notes to resonate with as much ease as possible. What horn are you playing on? Some horns just aren't capable of pumping out overtones, in my experience anyway.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,033 Posts
FWIW I found G easier than G# and A. Also a useful note to have.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey

Okay Big Guy: so fingering wise, to jump from E to A : I let the front F key go up and push down all three of the rh keys?

Calisax: I've got a Martin Committee (Dick Stabile) tenor coming, but I think my old HNWhite will do it. The overtones are coming out pretty good: I can usually get at least four of five out of all the fundamentals.

Blindside: what do you finger to jump from F# to G?

Rory

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,922 Posts
G is tricky, you'll see many posts on that. A is quite easy, but the easiest one for me is D. it's basically the same fingering as G - just the aux F with maybe a Bb side key - but actually much easier even though it's higher.

To me its the epitome of screaming and honking to hit that D then a bottom Bb. In the key of Bb., e.g. Night Train.

·
Registered
784 Posts
My personal opinion is that A is the easiest to hit.
I can do it on Bari, Tenor, Alto AND SOPRANO.

I use the RH 2 and 3 fingers (A/C and G keys) on all the saxes with great results.

The D above that is the next easiest for me and I use the Alternate F key (the little button or key above the B) and the octave key.
My soprano doesn't have that key so I hit the high F palm key, the B and the octave instead.

If you can hit the high F#, the A and the D you can play a lot of David Sanborn and Grover Washington Jr.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
rleitch said:
Hey

Okay Big Guy: so fingering wise, to jump from E to A : I let the front F key go up and push down all three of the rh keys?

Rory
That should work. Or go straight from F# lh 13/rh1. We are talking tenor right?

I learned altissimo the 'wrong' way. My teacher gave me a fingering chart to look at over summer break after my senior year in high school. Being an alto player, I fingered front F and tried adding the side Bb until the cotton-pickin' F# finally popped out. Then I just learned them chromatically.

I wish I had practiced overtones first. It would have been easier. It would have prabably been better if I'd worked on tonguing and scales. 20/20 hindsight...:)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,033 Posts
I have a Martin Committee. For me the easiest G3 is octave, Front F and side Bb. G# to A I find easiest fingering is octave, G and A, then lift the A. To play A alone octave, E,F,G,A seems easier. Once I got A the whole of the rest of the scale up to G4 popped out straight away (some of the time!).

I couldn't get any of the front F fingerings reliably at all on that or my old Selmer alto until I adjusted the keywork to get the opening right (there are threads about that on the search engine). I don't think altissimo had been invented when the Committee was designed, so the vent was way too open.

People always seem to say it's all about the player, but in my experience that's only partly true. Front F adjustment and reed can make a big difference at first, and my Buescher sop is certainly much harder to play up there than my Yani (though maybe because it needs a service).

·
Registered
358 Posts
High A on my tenor is a real b**ch. High G is rather easy. I'm working on my alto sax: got the high G out, but the fingering is very inconvenient...

·
Registered
784 Posts
Someone posted in another thread about using the octave key, B and high F# side key (if you have one of those) to hit high G.

It works great on my horns that have a high F# key.

·
Registered
315 Posts
B and up to D are my easiest notes, I can hit them in tune over and over again like they were middle range notes. My G is not as consistent, I miss about 3 out of 10 times I try for it, unless I'm just screaming with the horn, the #G is without a doubt my worst note, I cannot "naturally" hit it in tune. By playing the G with the side C added, it comes out far too sharp, I tried taking some keys away and other things but it just doesn't work, so I need to bend the note down to being in tune. My A is not as inconsistent as my G or #G but it is still relatively inconsistent to B and up. bB was not the best for consistency until I changed the fingering I was using most of the time, now it works about as well as B and up. To help with this I am practicing my scales (up to D) 3 octaves. I hope something I said helps, (if not, I enjoyed rambling) Good Luck.

·
Registered
241 Posts
G isn't so bad if you have a high F# key. just play left hand 1 right hand 1 side Bb and High F#...

that fingering is a good way to get G happening . then when you need to get G# just lift up the finger on the right hand.

I play G by 1 and 3 in left hand and then 1 and 3 in right hand and then add low Bb...

1and 3 and 1 and 3 work - but its real easy to split the sound with that I find. THe horn just seems to focus its sound for me when I put the low Bb down

1 - 15 of 15 Posts