Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure what to call a collection of tunes anymore. In any case, I finally finished recording last night at the bass players house. I posted something before but let me reiterate what I've learned.

1) Remember where the microphone was placed during the last take. We recorded over several months 2 hours at a time on Tuesdays. Microphone placement was very experimental; however, any overdubs later became problematic. Plus the microphone we used was extremely axis sensitive. Any slight change in the sax angle and the tone shifted dramatically.

2). Pitch Pitch and more Pitch - I was using a .113 tip Tone Edge for the last 3 years. It has a big sound and really carries in live shows. Does not record very well. Today after finishing the project, I went back to my .98 Tone Edge. Not the massive wall of sound but much warmer. Live and learn.

3). Sometimes the best takes were completely by accident.
Some solos were the first take when we were just recording the tunes for sound check purposes. Again, the sonically the tunes don't match; however, if it was a great LIVE studio take we didn't mess with it. As professional as I'd like to think I am, we were recording in a friends basement. I couldn't even fully stand up in the recording booth area.

This was the first complete project I've ever done. I had to wait for the call until I was 53 years old. I'll share the recording links on SOTW once mixed and mastered. Thanks to everyone on SOTW for support and advice as I continue to practice and refine the crazy saxophone thing we all do. Not I retool for the next project.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
4,866 Posts
2). Pitch Pitch and more Pitch - I was using a .113 tip Tone Edge for the last 3 years. It has a big sound and really carries in live shows. Does not record very well. Today after finishing the project, I went back to my .98 Tone Edge. Not the massive wall of sound but much warmer. Live and learn.
How's your pitch when playing live ?

·
5,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How's your pitch when playing live ?
Never seemed to be a problem. The headphones along with the dry sound created some pitch drama. It got much better though out the recording process. Next time I'll start knowing exactly how I'd like the headphone mix.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,664 Posts
often the first rehearsal is the best solo for me. Its killer then goes south and finally after many tries gets back to that first take. Glad to hear you got it in the can

Reactions: Dave Dunn

·
Registered
161 Posts
I studied Audio Engineering when I left high school, we were told that you always tell the musician that it's a run through to get the levels, it's not being recorded, then record it! Another rule was that you never let a musician hear themselves dry, but you never record wet, effects go on a separate track later. You keep the dry track in the mix, because using a wet track alone means losing some "punch".
It sounds like you got it sorted though, I'll keep an eye out for the finished product! :)

·
5,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I studied Audio Engineering when I left high school, we were told that you always tell the musician that it's a run through to get the levels, it's not being recorded, then record it! Another rule was that you never let a musician hear themselves dry, but you never record wet, effects go on a separate track later. You keep the dry track in the mix, because using a wet track alone means losing some "punch".
It sounds like you got it sorted though, I'll keep an eye out for the finished product! :)
Great Advice - If only I had a time machine. Next recording I'll be armed with better information. Thanks

Reactions: Dave Dunn
1 - 6 of 6 Posts