Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up a Jupiter 969 alto with the silver plated body and gold keys. It had been used in a year or two and such has some evidence of tarnishing. The previous owner indicated he used a silver polish on the body, but used a toothbrush to apply it. As such I notice that there is some clouding on the back side of the body and the bell that is either residue or very fine scratches caused by a toothbrush. From what I have read, it would appear there is a lacquer coating over the silver plating. My question is what can be used to remove the clouding or brush marks to bring back the original luster? I have seen Haggardy polishing products mentioned as a good cleaner with a very fine abrasive polishing quality. I also have Flitz metal polish, which I have used with great success on firearms. I understand if there is a lacquer coating, it is likely to be thin, so I want to try something that will not or do minimal wear the original finish but still bring back the original finish. Thanks!

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,952 Posts
It was wrong of the previous owner to use silver polish if the body is lacquered on top of the silver plate.

But I am confused: if it is lacquered, then there should be no tarnish, unless the lacquer is peeling off in places. If it's tarnishing underneath the lacquer, then you are in trouble, it's only going to get worse, I'd get the lacquer removed humanely and just deal with the silver plate conventionally: a soft cloth and silver polish or an impregnated silver cloth.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not positive it has a clear lacquer over the silver plating. I did not see any flaking of lacquer so I'll just hope there is none. I dropped it off with the tech for a checkup and cleaning and they are supposed to check out the finish question as well. Hopefully I'll get good news back from them in a few days. The person who had it did not appear to do a great job of cleaning after playing. I guess I could call Jupiter and ask them as well if it is lacquer over silver plating.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Correction on the model...it is a 869SC. That's what I get for typing on an iPhone with my fat fingers. I talked with Jupiter and they were very helpful. There is no clear lacquer on that horn just the silver plating. They recommended a light application of Haggartys polish to lightly buff out the cloudy area.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts