Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a late bloomer, I find my technique is limited by not being able to move my fingers fast enough for passages with sixteenth notes (semi quavers) especially those with accidentals in them, even though I can read the part perfectly well. I rehearse slowly just playing just the first of four notes in each group, and then fill in the gaps as the pattern becomes familiar.

So I am always pleased when my teacher suggests a fingering tip to make life a bit easier. For example, rolling the left hand pinkie from the G# to the B key is not easy to do neatly and quickly. But, to produce G#1 you can play L123 and *any* of the four LH spatula keys, not just G# but C#, B or Bb.

I am learning the 2nd tenor part of a band arrangement of September Song. It has a passage which goes, G1, G#1, bottom B, then up a semitone to low C, etc. My teacher showed me how to play it by fingering G (L123) then adding the bottom B natural (pinkie) to get the G#. The next note is B, so simply add R123 plus bottom C. Then for the C keep everything the same but release the LH pinkie on B. Magic :bluewink:

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
Yours is a "feel good" thread for me as a saxophone teacher. Seeing students excitement over each new discovery brings back my own when I was first learning my way around the saxophone. The Art of Saxophone Playing has an excellent chapter on "Alternate Fingerings" and "Fingering Options" just like the one you posted about. I agree, it is "Magic".

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yours is a "feel good" thread for me as a saxophone teacher. Seeing students excitement over each new discovery brings back my own when I was first learning my way around the saxophone. The Art of Saxophone Playing has an excellent chapter on "Alternate Fingerings" and "Fingering Options" just like the one you posted about. I agree, it is "Magic".
Thanks for your encouragement, JBT. I never had this feeling when, as a younster many years ago, I studied piano. The saxophone is so tactile and intuitive. I come out of every rehearsal and every lesson feeling just a bit taller:bluewink:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.