Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
our arranger has put together a lovely intro for a piece we're doing shortly at a street festival - "That's all" - which begins with 4 slurred descending quavers, E D C# B, then dropping to low A for a crotchet

my old warhorse - a 1920s adolph sax / selmer bari - doesn't have low A: I rely on a length of drainpipe in the bell as described elsewhere in this forum, so the run should go quickly & smoothly over the three keys for C# B and Bb

the horn doesn't have the best rollers on the left hand little finger keys so running through C# B low A is a problem

any advice on freeing up rollers or ways of slipping over the keys more smoothly - the alternative is to pass over the intro to the tenors - but we can do better than that I'm sure!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks

km

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
worst case is to legato tongue the notes to give your finger time to hit next note and cover bell for low A if low B won't work with extension.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
A bassoon player friend of mine told me that his teacher recommended nose grease on the thumb for the left hand thumb keys. You just rub your finger on your nose (outside, not inside;)), and it gets a little slick.

--No, seriously, nose grease. It works.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If pouring in the keyoil doesn't work (which, with a horn from the 20s, has the best chance, though slim, or working, I'd say the nose grease solution is your best bet. You could also try keeping your pinky in a position where you can press down C#, then just roll forward to the low B, and roll down to Bb, though I'm not sure if that's possible on your horn's set up. I have a couple of altos from the 20s though, and the rollers on one of them are seized (from before I got it), and when I took it to my repair person, he said there's nothing doing for them. Nose grease and finger position! Or, if the nose grease grosses you out, you could try cork grease. Hope that helps!

Martin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts