Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I've been playing my SML tenor a bit lately--amazing horn--but I'm struggling to find a fingering for F#3. My usual is Front F + side Bb and RH F, which isn't working at all.

Anybody else have this issue and/or any suggestions?

What sort of key height do folks have the the front F set at? It feels too open?

Thanks!

ps. thanks for the tip Pete!

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,582 Posts
The openness of the front F is crucial. Of course actual key cup the front F opens is the same key as the plam F, the difference being the front F key closes the B key (and doesn't need the D, Eb and side E).

The trick is to get the F opening a bit less when operated by the Front key, by sanding bit by bit a little cork from the bar which engages the F lever.

Unless of course it's too closed, in which case start by getting the right amount of cork on there so the front F opens the F key as much as the palm key does (ie no play at all in the connecting bar from the front F), then shave the cork bit by bit.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,090 Posts
Try X0X X00 (B-O-G -- F00). Also try dropping the side Bb with your Fork F 000 F00. Also, if those don't work, as said above, look at your fork F opening distance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts