·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang,

Just wanted to invite everyone to check out a project I've been working on:
fingering.bretpimentel.com

It's good for quickly making fingering diagrams, like this one:

If you poke around in the menus, there's some flexibility with how the diagrams look, what keys are included, etc. And, besides saxophone, it can do diagrams for most of the woodwind instruments you could want.

One caveat -- regrettably, it doesn't work with Internet Explorer (which currently lacks support for SVG graphics blah blah blah...). Should work in all the other major, current web browsers.

Cheers,
Bret

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,507 Posts
GREAT! man, that's one of the most helpful things I've come across here. Sincerely, thanks! and Kudos on both the design and the generosity

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,867 Posts
Great work. I'm composing a piece for solo alto, with plenty of multiphonics. This might come in very handy.
Thank you!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the kind words. I'm also interested in ideas about what people would like to see in future versions. Respond here, or send PM or email.

Thanks,
Bret

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Hi Bret,
I've waited for an easy (!), good looking (!), usefull for many instrument (!) editor or font a long time! Really great work!

One wish for the future:

In sibelius, I can only paste tiff-files as graphic (as far I can see). So, if this could be a file option for the future, this would be great.

Thank You for sharing this!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
... and perhaps it would be easier to read a diagramm, when all the lines of the unpressed keys would be seen permanent, not only, when a key in this section is pressed.
just my 2 cent ...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,384 Posts
This is great work, Bret -- hat's off, man! I agree with Taragot: it'd be nice to at least have the option of the unpressed keys still appearing. I've attached a screenshot showing what I mean -- basically, it's how the thing looks when your mouse hovers over it and the ghost keys appear -- I'd like them to always be there...

View attachment 25770

Also, and this is getting way picky and maybe just my thang, but I wish the bis key were a bit more "inline" and nearer to the left first finger key, because of its special nature -- it might make it clearer for my students.

But, overall, a very handy and cool thing! Thanks!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Taragot and Kelly:

You can keep all the keys visible by opening the "Keywork" menu, clicking "Keys," and pressing the "blank diagram" button. You will also see at that point some options to choose exactly which keys you wish to appear.

I'll take the suggestions about .tiff output and Bis key placement under advisement.

Thanks,
Bret

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for this tool, works great.

An improvement suggestion is having an option saving the file with key descriptions. Otherwise having a saved picture with a key description pop-up (tooltip) when you hoover over it.

Fantasy Island improvement just for fun would be having a animated diagram player with i.e. midi input like you have for piano.

Cheers :bluewink:

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,205 Posts
Good work.
The sax one has the low Eb/ C keys dead centre whereas they should be over to the left.

·
Registered
142 Posts
nice job man ! how about a way we can make flashcards with the staff and note. One side would have the note, the other side would not.

also a way to save public templates for instruments "Buffet 400", etc. That way we could set up one and others could benefit.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011-
1,036 Posts
Hi gang,

Just wanted to invite everyone to check out a project I've been working on:
fingering.bretpimentel.com

It's good for quickly making fingering diagrams, like this one:

If you poke around in the menus, there's some flexibility with how the diagrams look, what keys are included, etc. And, besides saxophone, it can do diagrams for most of the woodwind instruments you could want.

One caveat -- regrettably, it doesn't work with Internet Explorer (which currently lacks support for SVG graphics blah blah blah...). Should work in all the other major, current web browsers.

Cheers,
Bret
great
Bret - great work, that's really helpful...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts