Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm gradually returning to sax playing after spending around 8 years on trumpet. It was somewhat easy to settle on an acceptable sound concept on trumpet and maintain it. Sort of "Get the best tone out of your setup and blow."

When returning to sax playing and thinking of the tone I'd like to produce I realize that I don't want to copy any famous sax players which is often recommended. When listening to master sax players I normally don't analyze their tone details. I like different sax players with various tone colors. I don't particularly like bright edgy tone and consider it to be an extreme. Otherwise I accept any tone color from velvety early 1920-s sax sounds up to modern day if it's a full round tone.

When I pick up my sax I don't think of any particular sax player either. I can only think of my tone as: Well, this is too edgy or too bright, "not round enough" and so on until I'm satisfied with the result more or less. I think I have some tonal concept in mind but I don't know where it came from. Am I limiting myself or not being creative enough in terms of searching for my own tone?

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Here's an opinion from another developing amateur, so take from it what is useful, if anything...

I don't really think you need to "search" for your own tone. Keep practicing and it will find you. It's unavoidable.

However, there are things we can do to coax it in a particular direction (deep listening to artists that move us, experimenting with different setups, etc.) One of the most fascinating things about saxophone is that we will never sound exactly like someone else, even if we try to. If we continue to work on the fundamentals, I believe everything else will fall into place.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
We each have our own sound, and I’ve noticed after almost 60 years playing that I sound just about the same no matter what mouthpiece, reed or horn. Do I change those things? Sure, to be more comfortable, and maybe more efficient in producing sound. But I will still sound just like me.

I like your approach to trumpet sound. Do the same thing on every instrument you play and you’ll be just fine :)

·
Administrator
17,276 Posts
I don't really think you need to "search" for your own tone. Keep practicing and it will find you. It's unavoidable.

However, there are things we can do to coax it in a particular direction (deep listening to artists that move us, experimenting with different setups, etc.) One of the most fascinating things about saxophone is that we will never sound exactly like someone else, even if we try to. If we continue to work on the fundamentals, I believe everything else will fall into place.
This ^^^.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I can only agree, you will always sound like yourself. And you have already a very clear idea how you want to sound. At least, that is my impression.
The rest is practicing. Especially the boring tone excercises ;)
You can also experiment with mouthpieces and reeds. But in the end this only something how you feel comfortable. For the people listening the difference is only quite small. But they can hear, if you like your sound or not. At least that is my experience.
Finally, do not forget the phrasing. That is also something quite individual as well.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I think it has been said many times before. Get comfortable on your setup and your tone will find you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts