Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After about twenty odd years of jazz and just learning parts when classical playing has been required I have now started practising. It felt great. I found the Tableaux de Provence in a box and off I went. Amazing how much that was still in muscle memory! I've practised for a couple of weeks and got it up to speed. Then I stepped back a bit and listened to what I was playing... And it was not great. It was sloppy, my fingers were jumping around, my time was all over the place even though I was using a metronome.

I then remembered one of my teachers saying "If you can play it slow, you can play it fast" so the last days I have practised the first movement very slowly with metronome on half beat. Like putting it on 40 bpm for a bar (dotted quarter = 80).
I've also done the same with scales for warmup: Put the metronome on around 40 and started playing quarter notes, then eights, then triplets, then 16th, 16th triplets and last 32ths.
It's difficult but I think this has forced me to play with my ears and I think it sounds a little better already.

Does anybody have good exercises to improve mechanical accuracy?

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I'm with you. Trying to get my chops back to where I was in college. I always saw myself as a "jazz guy," but I really do enjoy classical playing, and play at least a little nearly every day.

To get my fingers "thinking" again I play through a lot of stuff that I played in college, both repertoire and etudes, and add new pieces from time to time. Ferling's my jam, but I jump around when I start itching for something different. Karg-Elert, Decouais, Kynaston, Larry Teal, Londeix. Play around, have fun, go slow, focus.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician, Forum Contributor 2
1,760 Posts
Hey, Eulipion2! Fun to see we are responding to the same thread after our PM exchange.

I'm in a similar boat as you two but I'm trying to get my classical chops back to where I was when I was 14 or 15 years old :) A few years back I had a life change that lead me to focus classical playing on the soprano and sopranino. I've been working on some solo pieces like CPE Bach's flaute sonata in A minor and on oboe works by Saint Saens, Poulenc, Mozart and others. I've found the sheet music for them and bought piano accompaniment as well. Life has been crazy for a couple of years so I haven't made as much progress as I'd like.

Eulipion2, thanks for some great suggestions for things to work on.

Got to hit the hay, the alarm goes off at 4:30am.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've found the sheet music for them and bought piano accompaniment as well.
I've also played quite a lot of classical music on the soprano. Mostly oboe and violin works, but for reasons stated above I have avoided the fast parts. It's hard to synchronize toungue and fingers when the fingers are not synchronized internally. :)

Do you mean piano accompaniment on CD? In that case where have you found that?

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician, Forum Contributor 2
1,760 Posts
You bet. And you can download public domain sheet music from https://imslp.org/ for free.
My process was to search imslp.org for oboe and flute works by my favorite composers and then hunt for accompaniment tracks. The tracks were surprisingly affordable.
I found several pieces that will keep me busy for the rest of my life :)

I've been working on CPE Bach's solo flute sonata in A minor. It's challenging for its octave jumps and range.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts