Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
3,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not familiar with the name of the song, but some of you classical players will more than be able to help me. I went to a saxophone recital of the one of my aquantances who played a piece by William Albright that was a duet with a pianist. The piece made me cry, and all of the audience. I have never even FELT like crying during a song. Only when I first listened to Eric Satie's Gyeomnopedie. And that made me feel like it, but I never did. This piece was rather fast, but soft, an it possessed a good amount of altissimo, that would really have to have been studied before playing. It is an extremely hardpiece, but by the skill of my friend, he was able to sight read it. The piece, I am not one hundred percent sure, but was, I believe was written in honor of one of William Albrights friend. I cannot find the sheet music anywhere but any information whatsoever would be quite appreciated.

·
Registered
159 Posts
It was probably William Albright's Sonata. It is VERY emotional. Espically the second movement. It is my favorite piece in all of the saxophone repertoire. You can find it on eble.com. Search for Albright.

·
Registered
108 Posts
It is the 2nd Movement of the Sonata. I went to Michigan and performed it there while he was a professor there. Stunny composition and so emotional. Beautiful piece of music.

·
Banned
3,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tracy285 said:
It was probably William Albright's Sonata. It is VERY emotional. Espically the second movement. It is my favorite piece in all of the saxophone repertoire. You can find it on eble.com. Search for Albright.

Yes! Thank you very much! I now recall, also I thank you all for the input, and I thank you for the listing of the website. Have a great day!:) :D :) :cool: :) :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
There're two great recordings out there now that I've personally heard. The first is Tim McAllister's on his album "In Transit," and the other is Matt Levy's recording on the PRISM quartet album of William Albright's major saxophone works. You can find both on the Innova Records website. I know the McAllister recording's on iTunes, and the Levy recording may be already.

·
Registered
159 Posts
John Sampen's recording is also good, although I like McAllister's recording more. I haven't heard Leavy's.

·
Registered
159 Posts
McAllister's recording is on iTunes.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I got Sampen's CD from him personally, just shoot him an email :)

·
Registered
471 Posts
I'd have to see/hear that to believe it ;o

3rd movement is crazy and the 4th is just MAD

·
Banned
3,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Second movement was hard. He and my teacher are both like that. My teacher showed me a piece for a sax choir, and I said to have fun studying that all night, and the piece was entirely thirty second notes! Not even room to breathe! My friend laughed, and my teacher said, What are you talking about, that is all sight reading.:shock: :?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts