Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im turning 16 on the 4th and instead of a car i will be receiving a sax. i was thinking something along the lines of selmer but does anyone know what types of saxes would be best for around 2.5k? ive waited 5 years to get a sax and i want the best sax possible for the price. thank you.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,277 Posts
IMO, only you can answer that.

It's what works best for you. Would you ask "what is the best car"?

If there was an answer there would only be one make of car and one make of saxophone.

I find that Selmers are good, but quite overpriced when you compare them with other horns, e.g. P.Mauriat, BW, R & C or Inderbinen.

At least, if the budget is 2.5k, you'll probably get a better sax than a car for the same price.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
If you're willing to buy second-hand then you pretty much have all of the top brands to select from -- Selmer, Yamaha, Keilwerth, Yanagisawa. At your price point you will be able to find great playing horns from these brands and many others.

If you're even leaning towards a particular brand (Selmer) then that's what you should get. Otherwise you''ll constantly be wondering coulda, woulda, shoulda. You can find an SA80II in that range, but you may have to kiss a lot of frogs -- it's just that way with Selmers. While you're out kissing Selmer frogs, try whatever else you might find out there and try some friends' horns whatever brand they are. You might be surprised.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,277 Posts
If you're even leaning towards a particular brand (Selmer) then that's what you should get. Otherwise you''ll constantly be wondering coulda, woulda, shoulda. You can find an SA80II in that range, but you may have to kiss a lot of frogs -- it's just that way with Selmers.
And this is exactly what I have found. After trying a few supposedly well set up Selmers, it was only one of them that really grabbed me. I think they are quite inconsistent and sadly not worthy of the once great name. But you can still get lucky if you know what you are looking for and can tell a great Selmer from a not so great one. Based, of course, on what you need or want from a horn. It's very subjective.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
The best professional-grade sax for the price will be a used sax with no structural damage, that is still in good enough mechanical condition where it might only need a few pads replaced and some regulation adjusted (for $100 or so). With the economy still sluggish, this is still a good time IMO to pick up a used sax. Any of the "big-four" established brands (Selmer/Yamaha/Yanigisawa/Keilwerth) is do-able at $2.5k, especially for an alto.

$2.5k could also get you a brand-new Cannonball or other quality Taiwan-made brand, with hundreds to spare on a really nice mouthpiece or two. You'd take a real hit, though, if you wanted to re-sell it. Accordingly, for $2.5k, you could get a used Cannonball/Barone/TKmelody/MACSAX tenor AND a used alto in decent shape.

Whatever you decide, TRY before you buy if at all possible!! Find a sax that feels comfortable under your fingers, and has a tone that sounds pleasing to your ear. As Mr. Thomas notes, sound quality from individual instruments of the same make and model can vary greatly (and disturbingly).

Good luck to you!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,831 Posts
a used 62, yamaha, would be good as anything, really! and you would get quite a bit of change from 2.5k..intonation good ergonomics good,htose horns just do the job! period.
There are other excellent horns and as others have said try them out,but a 62 is awell respected horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
You should go for the car instead. Then save up for the sax. Without reliable transportation, it's hard to get to a performance.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
4,370 Posts
Dude, buy a new Orpheo Signature copper plated alto or tenor for $899, take the change($1,600 for the numerically challenged)and buy yourself a car AND a girl!:evil:[rolleyes]:cheers::nike::smack::love34::headbang::cool::eek:ccasion::arrgh:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts