Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have found an alto MPC that really works well for me it is a Beechler S5S HR for my alto. Is there a way to extrapolate this information to some possible candidates for my Tenor and Soprano saxophones? It has taken some time to get to the Beechler, and I wonder if the size and or brand of this MPC will reduce the amount of trials I have to do in order to find the perfect MPC for my other 2 axes :), thanks for any input Dwayne

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Dwayne: Anything is possible but my experience tells me there is no correlation among various pieces for different sized saxophones.

For instance, I like Meyers and Selmers on alto, but for soprano every Meyer I've tried has been a failure for me. As far as Selmer pieces, only the most open sop pieces play okay for me (SS-J, S-80 G and J). I'm coming to like my Morgan Vintage 7 the best on all of my sopranos. For alto, not the same.

If you are able to play the same general piece on alto as you do on sop (brand and style), I'm betting you'll be among the few that do. DAVE

·
2,772 Posts
If your sound concepts are very similar on all three horns, then it might be possible that one mouthpiece model could work for you. I've never heard of anybody using the same model of mouthpiece across the board, though, except for James Carter, who uses Lawtons on all of his horns.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,889 Posts
Classical players do this all the time...but that's because the sound concepts ae similar for each horn. In jazz/commercial playing, the concepts are very different, and the mouthpieces will be too.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,993 Posts
My number one mouthpieces for my alto, tenor and bari are RPC, BUT... they are each cut very, very differently, and are not just the same mouthpieces sized for the horn, as most commercial pieces are. Soprano, alto, tenor, bari... they're different animals, and generally I find with one identical mouthpiece design, I may like it on one, but not the others.

·
Registered
8,979 Posts
You most likely will get closer to your sound concept with a different MP design on each sax. But many guys do use the same on 2 saxes. Like AT or TB. But your alto MP tip opening can help with your search. Consider starting with a sop MP tip opening tha is .020" smaller than your alto MP. Try a tenor that is .020" more open. Not a hard rule, just a guideline.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Michael, are you trying to change on soprano just because the hard reed close mpc setup is out of vogue? Or because Fred won't make you a mpc that size? :>)

Seriously, a sizeable percentage of soprano players prefer that and sound fine.

Back to the thread, yes there is no real need to go with the same mpc name or design on all horns. IN GENERAL as the horns get smaller, most folks prefer a more conventional mpc with less departure from a legit design and as the horns get bigger there is more variation in design and tip openings. Yes there are many exceptions.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,034 Posts
I agree with Mojo on the starting point. I use a .053 on Soprano, .076 on Alto and about a .095 on Tenor, pretty close to his base. I always end up with a Selmer on Soprano and Alto (last 40 years) but on Tenor I use a Link, Brilhart or Morgan, never a Selmer.

·
Banned
8,336 Posts
Mike yes you've sussed me. I can't get used to the more open tip on soprano. I feel out of control. I'm old fashioned I suppose because I still like the oboe, shawm like vibe on sop..the snakecharmer tip.That's probably why I like the saxello.
No Fred won't make me a close piece also however it might not work with his design so I've got a 60 on order for 2010,

BTW I just got the RVG remix of Kirk's Work so I'll send you that with the Softs.

·
3,875 Posts
Sonny Stitt played the same pieces on alto and tenor most of the time and when he changed one he'd change the other.

I'm using RPC's on alto and tenor and I know some people who use Metal Links, HR Links, Bergs, and Morgans on both horns.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
MojoBari said:
You most likely will get closer to your sound concept with a different MP design on each sax. But many guys do use the same on 2 saxes. Like AT or TB. But your alto MP tip opening can help with your search. Consider starting with a sop MP tip opening tha is .020" smaller than your alto MP. Try a tenor that is .020" more open. Not a hard rule, just a guideline.

Yeah this is the basic guideline I was workin toward with my question. I do prefer different sound concepts from alto to sop especially.. I tend to play more smooth jazz with the sop and go for a really dark tone. I usually go for a cutting and somewhat bright sound on my alto (for blues and pop stuff), and I like an old school sound on tenor :)

I just cannot believe it has taken me this long to find "the" MPC for my alto :) !!! I was of the impression that metal=jazz lol... what a big doh for me!
Probably based on the fact that I was primarily Tenor for so long.. and my first good MPC for tenor was a 7* Otto Link that I used from 1984 to present.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I saw really good advice on another forum. Pick some brands that you know and pick one or two pieces of each to try. Instead of looking for a name, randomly audition them and keep the one that feels comfortable and sounds the way you would like it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts