Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
3,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I am looking for a piece to play in church. Yes, I have a soul. I'm tired of a lot of the pieces that you hear in church during the offering with cheesy midi files, and music from the 80's, and 70's that will make you depressed. I have been asked to play a sax solo or more every now and then for the tithing. I want something that will make people get up and start dancing! Something that I can do a lot of chord progession and chage running. I don't want something that sounds like somebody died, which is usually the case. I have been trying to find some jazzy pieces with christian music, just so I can know the basic Melody,and jazz it all up. I was curious if anyone here, (which I am sure there are), knows of any good pieces, and websites with CD's and music of (it has to be) Christian songs, (not jazz standards sadly :cry: ), that will kick butt, and will make people melt in their seats. Could you please list the website, and names of songs. I would highly appreciate it. Thank you, and God Bless. Oh and I play tenor Saxophone! Thank you!:D :) :cool:

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
daigle65 said:
Oh ! So he never posted anything irrelevant on someone elses thread?
What does that have to do with anything? He asked for some opinions on what to play.

Have to agree with Chu though, church music is just straight boring. I play in a church orchestra, and dang its all hymns talk about putting the congregation to sleep. :D

·
Banned
3,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Carbs said:
What does that have to do with anything? He asked for some opinions on what to play.

Have to agree with Chu though, church music is just straight boring. I play in a church orchestra, and dang its all hymns talk about putting the congregation to sleep. :D
Thank you. I hate Church music, unless it is Contemporary, or Jazz. They really make me want to worship Christ.

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
watchout daigle65, or I send Bruce to come (the shark) after you.
Here he comes :D.
Seriously lets settle down alittle. I was kinda courious about this too. I have to play for some kids on Sunday at church, and am courious to what would be cool (since I am playing it), but still be appopraiate for kids. Please guys no rap ;).

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
See, you got the back ground parts, which surprisingly use alot of horn.
Have you considered some O.C. Supertones?
That has a sax part that you can hear in it, though it is on Tenor. (Don't know which one you want to play)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
3,383 Posts
I don't think it's WHAT you play, it's HOW you play it... here's a classic courtesy of GHawk on this board... I'm not even a Christian and it moves me...

http://www.studiogphoto.net/amazgrace.mp3

Take a note from him... you play your heart out of anything, and people will feel it.

Pete

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,444 Posts
Sorry, don't do performances in church but suggest you check out Boots Randolph - "When the Spirit Moves You" or "Sunday Morning Boots" (or something along those lines.) He has some medleys that'll at least provide some food for thought.

And I'll second what SactoPete said. It's how you play.

(I lived in Sacramento for 13 years. I really liked that place and miss it a lot!)

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Chuberry, would you be playing with a piano to accompany you? If so, what would the pianist be like? There are some nice ballads out there, and if you are playing with a pianist who has a nice "soft touch", you could turn it into something special.

·
5,444 Posts
ChuBerry47 said:
I have been asked to play a sax solo or more every now and then for the tithing. I want something that will make people get up and start dancing!
Well, that'll make it easy for them to get to their wallets! :D

Just don't get in the way of any purses being swung around.:shock:

·
Forum Contributor 2010 / RIP
1,363 Posts
Carbs said:
watchout daigle65, or I send Bruce to come (the shark) after you.
Here he comes :D.
Seriously lets settle down alittle. I was kinda courious about this too. I have to play for some kids on Sunday at church, and am courious to what would be cool (since I am playing it), but still be appopraiate for kids. Please guys no rap ;).
Carbs,
Bruce scares the **it out of me! :D I think about your avatar every time I...

I will second the recommendation on Boots Randolf's "When the Spirit Moves You". There are a few tear jerkers in that volume.

·
4,147 Posts
daigle65 said:
Oh ! So he never posted anything irrelevant on someone elses thread?

Irrelevant yes, inflammitory no.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts