Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I live in Toronto, and have been only playing tenor for a couple years, but I am wondering a couple things. First, at what stage in your musical progression is it a good idea to start jamming with people? Also, what is a good way to find other musicians at a similar level? I placed an ad on kijiji but really have only been contacted by people interested in rock and/or blues....
Any suggestions?
Byron

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008
3,805 Posts
Join a community concert band, network with folks there and find community big bands.
Take a jazz ensemble course at the RCM or Humber College.
Go to the jazz jam at the Rex.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Toronto saxophonist David Rubel offers regular ensemble programs – a full jazz band that meets to play together under the instruction of David, with a view toward developing improvisational skills. I've heard good things about this.

I'd suggest contacting David and asking when the next ensemble is scheduled.

http://davidrubelmusic.com/teaching/

This is a great opportunity to make some connections, gain some experience, and develop some skills.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,069 Posts
Merlin beat me to it: go hang out at the Rex, one of the greatest live jazz institutions on planet earth! And Humber would be a great resource, too, there are some very talented students and great professors there (as well as at the University of Toronto).

Every time I've had the privilege of hanging out in Toronto, the jazz community has always seemed very warm and supportive. I'm sure you'll find some like minds and kind souls to help you along the way before long.

It's never too early to start playing music with other people. The earlier the better.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome, thanks for the ideas guys! Yeah, I have seen the Dave Rubel stuff and was thinking about joining his classes...I am not sure I am ready to go to the rex to do the jams, though I've never actually gone to one before so I will have to check that out. (Going this weekend for the Coltrane Birthday Tribute though! :p)
My girlfriend suggested the NHB to me before and I think I may give that a try as well.
Thanks again,
Byron

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome, thanks for the ideas guys! Yeah, I have seen the Dave Rubel stuff and was thinking about joining his classes...I am not sure I am ready to go to the rex to do the jams, though I've never actually gone to one before so I will have to check that out. (Going this weekend for the Coltrane Birthday Tribute though! :p)
My girlfriend suggested the NHB to me before and I think I may give that a try as well.
Thanks again,
Byron

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
... I am not sure I am ready to go to the rex to do the jams, though I've never actually gone to one before so I will have to check that out. (Going this weekend for the Coltrane Birthday Tribute though!) . . .
I've got a friendly tip for you regarding your upcoming first visit to the Rex: bring earplugs!!!

One of the last times I went out to the Rex, I went to see an ensemble lead by drummer Barry Romberg. Now if you've every seen Barry, you'll now he's a very powerful, dynamic drummer - a kind of Elvin Jones thing.

I got there early, and was more than a little surprised to see the soundman placing microphones on Barry's kit. The Rex is pretty small, and, well, this is Barry Romberg!

I felt like asking the soundman, who seemed to have an endless supply of mics: You do know who's going to be behind these drums, don't you?

But anyway, whether or not he knew anything about Barry, it was one of the last times I went out to the Rex.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Toronto saxophonist David Rubel offers regular ensemble programs – a full jazz band that meets to play together under the instruction of David, with a view toward developing improvisational skills. I've heard good things about this.

I'd suggest contacting David and asking when the next ensemble is scheduled.

http://davidrubelmusic.com/teaching/

This is a great opportunity to make some connections, gain some experience, and develop some skills.
Hi everyone! Thanks for the free advertisement, JPWGibson! :)

These classes have been really helpful for a lot of musicians who've come through. I have them on weeknights and weekend afternoons depending on level (everything from beginner to advanced). We work towards a performance and talking about things like how to phrase a melody, instrument roles, improvisation, how to make a band, intros and endings, jazz rhythm and harmony, etc. They are full jazz bands, minimum of 4 people, max of 6 that always have at least a rhythm section and usually a horn or vocalist. The whole idea is for everyone to improve and learn, in an ego-free environment. We're all looking to get better and having a community to do so in has led to much faster progress for my own private students. I started these because my students were learning jazz in a vacuum, and they needed an outlet for all their hard work. It has grown as generally people stay with it. Please feel free to send me a message if you're interested. We are all about working hard and having fun!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,069 Posts
This thread has reminded me how much I love Toronto and its music community. From what I've witnessed, all the first-call, top-level Toronto musicians I've met have also been some of the warmest, most supportive, most down-to-earth people I've ever met. Not to mention the fact that the Rex is simply one of the most remarkable music venues on the planet, especially for jazz. Tom Tytel might not know what a boon he is to the international music scene, but I hope he does! Progger tries to come through at least once or twice a year and we never fail to have absolutely the best time.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Another vote for the New Horizons group. I've been a member here in Portland Oregon for 3 years. Great opportunity for old band nerds to feel not so old for a few hours a week.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts